We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance

Seeking opinions regarding travel insurance. Not cheap at our age, but do we really need it ?.

If so, any difficluty accessing benefits?

If the tour company ceases opereations, such as Exploring Ireland has done recently, will insurance cover any payments made to the company?

Essex
Level Contributor
26,738 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance

OBviously I live in the UK so can't recommend to you any US Travel insurance companies.

However, I would never ever travel abroad without insurance. If you feel that buying insurance is not cheap, weigh it up agains the 1,000's of $$ you might have to pay if something does go wrong. Especially if you become ill or injured and need to be repatriated with full medical cover en-route.

OF COURSE we don't travel expecting anything like that to happen, but it just might - so you do need to think about it.

You would need to check the T's & C's of any policy that you are thinking of buying, to see if it would cover trip cancellation for company that has gone bust. I can't answer that one, I'm afraid!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,124 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance

I agree that you need insurance!

You can use: www.insuremytrip.com to compare policies and their prices

Michigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance

You'll need to check the individual policy to see if it covers the financial default of the travel provider. Some do, and some don't. In addition, some of the companies who do cover this have either a list of the companies they will cover or an alert list of companies that are excluded from coverage.

Before you purchase any travel insurance, it's pretty important to read the actual policy, rather than rely on what the customer service rep tells you or what's listed in the policy summaries you see on handouts or on the website.

Mary

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance

Thanx for the replies.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance

Well said riff M,I agree that you need insurance! You can use: www.insuremytrip.com to compare policies and their prices

Level Contributor
20 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance

I sell travel guard insurance to our customers and it's very affordable and covers anything, we got hung up in Chicago on the way To Hawaii and it covered everyones hotel rooms for three days and the ground transportation needed during that time. I recommend it to all my passengers.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel insurance

Thanx all for the replies; we did purchase travel insurance and hope not to have to use it

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel insurance

Just as an aside, some insurance firms that offer default coverage require purchasing this coverage within 14 days of initial trip payment so it is very important to read the fine print as stated by previous posters.

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel insurance

Where can we get travel insurance for our trip UK to Hawaii - retired and a past heart problem!!

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel insurance

We used Travel Insured International...worldwide trip protector. It was underwritten by Arch Insurance Company.

Our travel agent facilitated the process, but Travel Insured International does have a website

Get answers to your questions