We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rating the beds - a good idea?

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Rating the beds - a good idea?

I use TripAdvisor all the time to decide on where to stay. But I am becoming so frustrated by the hotels which receive great reviews, only to book them and find that there is a major issue. Yes, I am referring to the bed. I find it bizarre that so many reviews, perhaps glowing, say absolutely nothing about the quality of the sleep! Incredible! If you are staying overnight in a hotel room, are you not spending approx. 8 hours trying to get a decent sleep? Is that not a major part of the quality of a hotel, being able to provide that good sleep? Maybe it is only as you get older that getting a good night's sleep becomes such an elusive target. Also, most of the time, when a review does mention the bed, it is usually characterized (if the review is positive) as "comfortable". A meaningless word -an article I read last year about the hotel industry talked about the bed issue, and how difficult it was for hoteliers, since approximately 50% of people preferred a firm bed, and about the same number preferred a softer bed. So, that indicates to me that to say a bed is "comfortable" is meaningless, unless you also add something like - "just the way I like it, quite firm", etc. I would like to propose a mattress rating system for hotel reviews, something like 1-10, with 1 being super-firm, and 10 being very soft, or something like that. I have no idea of how to go about this, and also I would be interested if anyone else has noticed this gap in the hotel reviews, as I have. I am not sure how to cross-post this on to other forums - thought the Senior Travel Forum might be a good place to start! I would love to see mattress or bed-rating be a routine part of reviews - it would take those hotel reviews from great to awesome, in my opinion!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rating the beds - a good idea?

You may want to post this on the HUMTAB - help us make TA better- forum and see what others think.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rating the beds - a good idea?

Thanks for that suggestion! It is done.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rating the beds - a good idea?

I didn't read all of your posting as I can't be bothered with long posts without paragraphs. However, I understand it to be regarding the comfort of beds in hotels.

On many occasions my partner and I have shared the same bed in a hotel and what he has considered a comfortable bed, I have thought it uncomfortable and vicversa. It is entirely a matter of personal choice.

4. Re: Rating the beds - a good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 19:18