We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

I figured I'd post this on the "Senior Travel" forum because even though I am only 25 years old, I prefer vacations that my mom and older relatives would enjoy rather than the typical "college-aged trip." I am in graduate school so my vacation dates are the typical college-break dates (March 8-18). I'm trying to plan a vacation for my mother and me, but am having trouble finding some place that won't be swamped with spring break partying! We're from Indianapolis and were thinking of Hawaii (I've been twice), but would like to stay a bit closer (more like 7 hours total travel instead of the 14+ it takes to head to Hawaii). We want a beach-vacation where we can spend sometime relaxing on a gorgeous beach, but also a place where we can either rent a car and site see or take some tours, so we want a place with wonderful sites to see, as well. We were thinking Puerto Rico but many of the resorts I've called say that do get their fair share of typical spring break college kids. Any suggestions on where we should go?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

I don't know much about it, but what about the Texas Gulf coast? Until I read the words "beach-vacation" I would have suggest Palm Springs. Unfortunately, I think any beach vacation is going to be inundated with the party crowd unless you can text up a Robinson Crusoe type. I personally never travel to warm spots in March. Oh, I see that in Beyond Destinations there is a Beach Vacations forum. That might be another great spot to post.

Good luck with the search.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

It may be a little late to book for this year but you might look into a cruise for your vacation. We are going on one from San Diego that travels to various ports in Mexico in March. You can spend port days at beach resorts or take local tours to see the countryside. We have done this sort of thing for the last few years and have not been bothered by spring break partiers.

Ashtabula, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

Your question is mine exactly. I am thinking of St. Augustine.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

Think about Aruba

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

Check out Naples Fl, I don't think you will find any spring breakers there. I can't say the same for FMB.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

I second daisey10's suggestion - Naples, Florida - beautiful beaches, great restaurants and shopping. Spring breakers will typically be with their families not party crowds.

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

Think Belize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,341 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

Yes Belize, Costa Rica, how about Roatan, would all be nice and not typical spring break party destinations.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

I think beach-vacation is the best choice. Have you even been to Phuket, Thailand? There are lot of beautiful beach and Islands which have to go by speed boat within 30 minutes or up to 3 hours (Phi Phi Island, the famous one). However, I would suggest you not to go by speed boat since it is to adventerous for your parents. There are lots of nice hotels in Phuket and good seafood :)

Thailand is also famous for medical services. You could consider taking your parents to do health check up in Bangkok. For more ideas that your parents would enjoy the activities, you could visit www.thailandtodo.com It is the private services that arrange everything for you ^_^

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go for laid-back vacation over Spring Break?

Not sure the OP is still reading her/his post.