We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

Shawnee, Kansas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

I would like ideas for a week long trip to take my 80 year old mom on for my sister and I. It will be in July so we are looking for somewhere a little cooler so my mom can get around outside a little more comfortably. One thing she enjoys a lot is museums. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

How far are you willing to travel? You could fly in to Albany NY or Hartford Ct and travel an hour or two by rental car to the Berkshires area of Massachsetts. My elderly mother , sister and I had a great trip- cool in the summer, many museums and galleries( Norman Rockwell for one) , summer theater, clever shops , nice restaurants . I think you would find so much to enjoy.

http://berkshires.org/

Shawnee, Kansas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

That sounds like something we would enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

Denver, CO can be a good option for you. There are tons of interesting and unusual museums, Rocky Mountains are close by, plus one of the largest Performance Arts Centers in the country.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

Hello,have you thought of some thing in Africa like Uganda the pearl of Africa with safaris and gorillas.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

I had a similar question last month when I went on a vacation with my Grandpa and you have to be careful with your decision.

I just came back from the dullest vacation. I was stuck in Xrbia with my grandfather. In the evenings it was great because we could smoke our cigars and drink whiskey on the terrace of our hotel, looking over the city lights. What in the world could be better?

But daytime activities with your grandpa in a city are a whole different story. I wasn’t able to do any of the things that required walking (and that’s most things in the city), or that would “rip him off”. After my trip I heard about the resorts with golfing and private pools. Next time grandpa…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

I like the ideas for Berkshires and Denver. Both great destinations. Also think of other places like Seattle or Portland. Great scenery around as well.

Rindge, NH
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

Consider going to Washington, D.C. and visiting the Smithsonians!

Rent a comfy wheel chair for your mom for when she tires, access to all the places is free and easy, buy a Hop on Hop Off ticket to let them give you a tour. It's just a wonderful place to be with great monuments and trees and the Potomac!

8. Re: Week trip in July with my sister and 80 year old mom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:40