We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

In March of 2013 my Dh and I along with another couple are planning a trip. We know for sure we want to go to central or maybe southern Cali.

We also know we would like to do a vacation rental instead of a hotel.

I have looked into flying from Seattle to Santa Barbara, taxi to a vacation rental and just staying there for a week. We decided we don't want to run around in a car all day driving in traffic, etc. Can anyone think of other such places we could fly to and just get around without a car?

I looked a little bit at Palm Springs but we don't golf....mainly looking for relaxation, warmer weather, some easy hiking would be fine. Thanks for any ideas!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

Beach or desert, that's the question. Weather in Palm Springs will be better but it's also high season there. Perfect place to relax though. We love it.

San Diego would be another option. Great city.

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

Thank you "Tet14"! I have a little more info now as the other couple would like to see the Hearst Castle too so maybe Santa Barbara would work? I told them we would have to rent a car but maybe for one day or two would be fine. How far from SB is the Hearst Castle?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

Count on at least 2.5 hours between SB and Hearst Castle. So 5 hours for the roundtrip and you easily can spend 3 hours for the Hearst Castle visit. The tour inside (maybe take tour 1) won't take that long but they transport you to the castle and back. There also is an Imax theater included in the price and you can stay outside the castle as long as you wish before the bus takes you back. You are missing the gorgeous drive on hw1 between San Simeon and Carmel but that's not a daytrip from Santa Barbara.

Tet

Level Contributor
20 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

I agree with San Diego, Great city!

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

I agree "Jeep" that San Diego is a great city but do you think we could go there with two couples, have a vacation rental, stay for a week, and not rent a car?

What part of San Diego would we go to? La Jolla, Pacific Beach maybe? I think it would be somewhat warmer than Santa Barbara; I'm just not sure we could "live" for a week in walking distance to shopping, things to do, etc. in such a big city.....any ideas where?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

I think best to post this in the San Diego forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60750-i41-San_Die…

Although the county is spread out far and wide, the city itself is pretty compact been we have never been there without a car.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

How about San Fransisco? We were only there a couple of days but the bus service was quite good so we left the car at the hotel.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

You are going in March. If you are also looking for warmer weather then San Fran is out and San Diego moves higher on the list. Do the temps matter to you?

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

Yes, Cape Cod we want some sunshine :) Dh and I went to San Diego last Jan. and we even had a day or two at 70 degrees!! So, I have been looking at vacation rentals in Santa Barbara and San Diego. My preference towards Santa Barbara is the "quaintness" and ability to navigate without a car and beauty and weather of course! San Diego has the weather for sure but may be more difficult to find a rental and navigate without a car? Still looking at both....thanks so much for the help. Keep the suggestions coming!

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two couples, one week, no car.....where to go?

What do you all think of staying in La Jolla? Would it be easy enough to get around without a car?