We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lightweight luggage

Pearland, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lightweight luggage

Any suggestions for lightweight luggage for a long cruise?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,173 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lightweight luggage

Can you get bags made out of parachute nylon?? That is lightweight and tough?

Just out of interest I googled and came up with this - but guess you could find something better if you try a google yourself...

lexingtonluggage.com/a-saks/…

London, England
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lightweight luggage

Yes, we have bags from parachute material but not big enough for a cruise. However, it is amazing how much they hold and they have been to many places with us as hand luggage.

They are made in the UK by a company called onyaside, but are originally Australian.

Lots of places sell lightweight luggage including Samsonite, it depends how much you want to pay. M andS and Matalan do too and local street markets.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,173 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lightweight luggage

Alas M & S and Matalan are probably not going to be found in Texas...

Essex
Level Contributor
27,173 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lightweight luggage

Have a look for 'ballistic nylon' luggage also. Here's another 'google' example:

nextag.com/ballistic-nylon-luggage-set/store…

London, England
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lightweight luggage

Sorry, had no idea where 'Pearland' is. Well I think they have TK Maxx they probably have them in there. M and S also deliver, but don't know if they go to Texas.

PA
Level Contributor
60 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lightweight luggage

Have used RIMOWA SALSA AIR which we find very light yet rugged. Weight--8--10 lbs for largest suitecase that has 2 large sides and can easily hold 40-50 more lbs of luggage. Good wheels. Only disadvantage is lifting 50-60 lbs on to the train.Can find # of sites thru google and even find German web site (in English) that allows order thru main Co. at saving of $50-$60

but then longer wait to get to USA as shipping, customs, etc So far--2yrs use and very satisfied!!!

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lightweight luggage

Antler do very light cases, very nice as well.

canada
Level Contributor
7,492 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lightweight luggage

{for a long cruise} -- so you are not flying. Do you mean that cruise ships are putting weight limit on luggage nowadays? They use fork lifts to deliver food and bev.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,258 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lightweight luggage

Travelpro. They are up to Crew 9 now. I've had Crew 5 for 6 years or so and still going strong. Expandable rollaboard 22", 4 kg/7.5 lbs. I particularly like the recessed (protected) wheels and the streamlined pockets

http://travelpro.com/

I had to laugh at myself later though. When I was considering new luggage back then someone said, "Oh all the flight crew use them, Travelpro is their preferred luggage." Oooooh, I said, sounds good. Then very recently, I discovered from a flight attendant that the airline issues Travelpro to all their flight attendants. They didn't personally choose it. Ba-dum-bump.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lightweight luggage

For a cruise, you don't have to worry about weight that much. But for general travel, which I do, weight, size and capacity are key. I've been doing a comparison of weight to capacity of luggage in the 24-27inch category (the size I usually carry with me when I'm on an extended trip to Europe---I know I'll have to wash clothes frequently but I take about 3 tops, 3 bottoms, 2 PJ's, 2 shoes, and I need lots of woman stuff: e.g. shampoo, body wash and other personal items). I've looked at all of what I think are decent brands. If Lipault luggage is telling the truth about its capacity, its 2 wheeled foldable duffel has 5797 cubic inches of space and weighs 6.7 pounds. The 26" 4 wheeled packing case is 4942 cubic inches and weighs 6 pounds. If accurate, that's a lot of packing for a very light weight. I can't comment on longevity because I haven't bought it yet, but I'm certainly considering it.