We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter sunshine destination.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Winter sunshine destination.

Hi everyone!

I live in England and would like to take my parents on holiday for a couple of weeks in January primarily to get some sun.

My dad is eighty-eight years of age and my mother is eighty-two.

We are not very wealthy so the obvious choice would be Tenerife but not sure if the climate is really up to it.

I would consider anywhere. Thailand, Goa, South Africa, South America.

I guess a slight concern would be safety and food hygiene. Not for me, I’ve cycled across countries like Colombia but for my parents.

Chile would be nice, I’ve cycled their too, very safe and friendly but the flights are so expensive. Not that I would rule it out.

I suppose Australia should be considered but I’ve never had a pull to go there.

My mother likes a bit of culture so temples in Thailand would be fantastic for her whilst my dad would prefer to laze around on the beach or in a bar. He likes boats too.

Thank you for reading and grateful for any suggestions.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 09:45
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter sunshine destination.

Look on Kijiji for accommodation in Florida

the Mecca for seniors

Feb is warmer than January but still lovely.

Fergielicish

Essex
Level Contributor
28,413 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter sunshine destination.

A bit further south than the Canaires is Madiera

Another classic 'winter getaway' destination, from the UK!

The south of Spain is 'unreliable' weather-wise, though 'culture' abounds if you search for it.

Greece could be a possiblility (but a bit 'unstable' at the moment.

The further you go, the more it will cost.....

Visit your local Travel Agent (no seriously!) see what they recommend for a 'last minute cheapie' from where you live, could net a good bargain for your proposed 'style' of trip with the Aged P's.

Otherwise, perhaps, look at SAGA holidays, and see if they will take you with them!

PS - would you consider a cruise??

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter sunshine destination.

I suggest Buenos Aires and Bariloche. BA is like Paris and Bariloche reminded me of Switzerland. Excellent destinations.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter sunshine destination.

Would they be up to a Nile cruise? Hectic but you don't have to do all the trips.

Or a Red Sea cruise?

Edited: 24 October 2012, 22:46
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter sunshine destination.

Give Belize a go. Very warm, good roads, friendly people and tonnes of Mayan sites. Beaches at Placencia are the best.

6. Re: Winter sunshine destination.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 23:17
Get answers to your questions