We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with memory impaired spouse.

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Travel with memory impaired spouse.

My husband has Alzheimer's and has trouble with memory and language. He loves to travel and we would have a third person along to help with luggage and as a companion. He is 77 and I am 72. Would a tauk tour be suitable for us.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
957 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel with memory impaired spouse.

This is an interesting question with a lot of implications. My wife is in late stage Alzheimer's Dementia with only a few days to live.

I would suggest you stay somewhat local rather than going to say a foreign country. There are a lot of issues to deal with.

First, will you have medical insurance if something happens? As it is a pre-existing condition you will not likely be covered for any illness that occurs while you are away. Secondly, if an airplane is involved you may have issues with the cabin pressure, etc. Third, if your trip involves security screening of any form be sure to have a letter from your doctor stating your husband's illness. If they decide to separate you for questioning it could get ugly. Would your doctor approve of the trip? I don't want to discourage you but it will be a major undertaking. Your husband's decision to travel may not be his. You now have a disease that has entered the equation.

Why not go to an area in Texas you have never been before? Why not do a 'staycation' where you go out each day from home to somewhere he likes and return home each night?

We were so blessed that we could afford to travel one month a year overseas and one month in Canada. We are both 66 and now my trips are limited to seeing her in our local paliative unit at the hospital. She hasn't spoken in about 17 months but we re-live our trips every day.

God bless you for wanting to please your husband but sometimes it isn't always possible.

Dean in Canada

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel with memory impaired spouse.

What a thoughtful reply, I would never have thought of the issues you have mentioned.

I hope your wife has a peaceful passing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel with memory impaired spouse.

definitely tauck tour is very helpful for you.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
957 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel with memory impaired spouse.

Thank you for your kind reply Josiem. My wife has now been placed in our local Hospice. For the original poster, I would encourage them to belong to a local group for Alzheimer's support. My group literally saved my life. 78% of all Care Givers pass away before the patient. My personal goal (and yours) should be to in the 22% that survive.

That being said, travel is an important part of your life now. DO NOT BE AFRAID to take suitable respite and get away as a solo or with a loved one. I have done it several times for a week to ten days. They have all been memorable trips and I wasn't worried about my wife. There is no, repeat NO excuse not to go away. Bring someone in, arrange accommodations for a week at a facility, etc. DO IT! If anything happens to you, you are of no value to your loved one. Do it a few times a year.

My prayers are with you. God Bless.

5. Re: Travel with memory impaired spouse.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:17