We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding single supplements?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding single supplements?

I like my own room when travelling so ante up the single supplement if it is not too out of whack. I have noticed gct tours do not have a single supplement but don't seem to have any luck getting a live body when I call. Wonder if any other tour company options that waive the single supplement? I realize some may waive it if and when space unfilled but don't like that approach as usually need to know date in advance.

Other question has to do with best countries/areas/hotel chains etc that have specific rate for singles. Mainly interested in Scotland, Ireland and Italy at this stage but open to other suggestions.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding single supplements?

If you book hotels directly, not with a tour company, you don't pay a single supplement. Most hotels rent per room, not per # of people.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding single supplements?

Yes - looking for ones that have a lower single rate and have with some digging found those that do and hoping to find other suggestions here. I'll go back and check my travel files and post some chain names that do here - mostly in UK - when I have time.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding single supplements?

I should add that booking directly with the hotel usually doesnt work when package tours involved.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,002 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding single supplements?

Avoca, if you are travelling with a singles company they don't charge a single supplement but do cost more for the trip.

If you travel with a mixed company then you do pay SS though there are some where you can agree to share a room.

If you make your own trip then there are many hotels that don't charge extra for singles. Travelling on your own doesn't mean you lack company or chatter if you are a friendly soul. In the UK there are the budget hotel chains like Travelodge and Premier Inn that not only don't charge a supplement but can be purchased for a song if you book early.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding single supplements?

On anther forum just this --the single room suppliment

The start of my overseas travel was a valuable lesson

Well thats way I veiwed it and it went like this

Friend and I book a US tour of 23 days -flights, hotels

tours and a tour guide so when oil prices rise early in

1974 and our tour few months away several things

happen--tour price increases , my friend pulls out

and hello single room suppliment!!!

I stick with it even though tour co. now deletes tour

guide--given my vouchers for air fares, hotels and

tours whildt away I, m off and landing in Honolulu

stewardess asks my hotel adress "Oh a taxi $25

Why dont you grab bus outside srrivals as it

stops on Kalakua right near your hotel and $2.50

Have rarely used agents and only for farea

but now with plethera of flight and hotel apps

plus time on my hands with years of experience

NO SRS

6. Re: Avoiding single supplements?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:17