We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

I am a female solo traveler, will be 71 this year, currently have severe cabin fever and am looking for suggestions to match up with my solo traveling preferences for my next trip. Thought I would ask here as I've found suggestions from people who have never travelled solo and/or who also have met up with family, friends living in "X" city [thus having built-in tour guides] and/or have rented cars for their trips [thus spending only a day or so in a particular city and going to areas only accessible by car] to be very interesting, but not especially helpful.

Have done solo trips to Paris, Florence, Verona, Bologna, and twice to Nice. I'm looking for:

[1] a highly/easily walkable city with a nearby airport [have found with aging that the trips getting there and back home are so exhausting that I can't contemplate taking a train or yet another plane when I arrive in "X" country];

[2] one with good public transportation for day trips

[3] and excellent spots for bad weather days

[4] one that is safe enough to be able to wander into the evening - not super late, but definitely up to ten PM-ish.

With thanks for any suggestions. Oh, the two weeks will be in early-mid October.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 20:55
Essex
Level Contributor
27,157 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

New York, in fact, is surprisingly good for all of that, if you have not been (but guess you probably have)...

London would be another good choice.

Rome has a lovely "vibe" and plenty to see and do, though is a bit hilly for the walking!

Barcelona? Though you have to be a bit more wary of your "stuff" in really crowded areas, than perhaps some other locations....

Lisbon is pretty good and not so much on "the beaten path"...

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

Essex is right...New York city or London...I've done them solo, more than once. and would in a heartbeat do them again...both have so many options and are very solo friendly.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

Thanks - lived in Manhattan for many years and have been to London, but not solo. Of my solo trips I serendipitously found Verona and Nice - knew next to nothing about them and was enchanted by both.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,114 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

Another vote for London with a few days in Bath which is very walkable and a lot of fun if you are a Jane Austen or Georgian/Regency era fan.

Pam

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

London of course...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

Barcelona is my favorite city in Europe! I think it is just terrific with art, architecture, scenic beauty , great food etc. I don't think it is different in terms of using your normal street smarts to keep watch of your belongings!

I was also just in Prague and thought it was also a wonderfully walkable lovely place! It is different from most cities that I have visited in that the entire city is just an amazing collection of interesting architecture. The street musicians are also very wonderful!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

Thank you for your suggestions - was in Bath in my twenties and have been dealing with this winter via "P&P" - listening to excellent narrations and, of course, watching Colin Firth. I had been thinking of somewhere in the UK - it would be nice not to have to learn another basic traveler language as I have such a poor ear for other languages. Appreciate the Barcelona and Prague votes, too, and will take a closer look at each.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,147 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

If not London, then maybe Dublin.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

I was thinking Barcelona as well. It is very vibrant and everything from great beaches to Gaudi architecture to tapas, amazing art, a medieval centre, festivals.

Then head down to Valencia and enjoy the stunning modern architecture in the City of Arts and Sciences

http://www.cac.es/

London, England
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Weeks In Another City [but which one?]

I was in Barcelona two weeks ago after not having been there for about 15 years or more. Found it had changed a lot, but for the better. Very easy to get about either by public transport or walking. Plenty to see and do. However, my favourite Spanish city is Seville. The city which IMHO is everything foreigners imagine 'Spanish' to be. There are also some other places to visit not far away like Cordoba, Malaga, Jerez de la Frontera, Cadiz etc.

You could possibly visit Seville and also Lisbon, they are not too far apart.

Amsterdam is also a very manageable city, so is Stockholm. At the end of the day it depends what you want to see. A few years ago I went to Glasgow as I am interested in Charles Rennie McKintosh. Maybe a trip to Edinburgh and Glasgow.

You could do Vienna and Bratislava or take the jetfoil service along the Danube.

The combinations are endless.