We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report on Adventures Abroad to Vietnam and Cambodia

New Jersey
Level Contributor
207 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report on Adventures Abroad to Vietnam and Cambodia

Following is a report on Adventures Abroad trip VN2 we took in January of 2014. The tour visited North, Central and South Vietnam, and Phom Penh and Siem Reap in Cambodia. You can retrieve the detailed itinerary online. This report is intended to cover aspects of the trip you may not read about elsewhere. I have also posted reviews of many hotels, restaurants and attractions to their spots on Tripadvisor. This report is posted in the Vietnam and Senior Travel forums.

First let me say that it was a wonderful trip for me and my wife; We would recommend this tour to most travelers. This is not an especially “adventurous” tour. There was much walking, in heat in Cambodia, but nothing really taxing for a healthy senior. I would guess most participants were in their mid sixties, with one couple much younger and one person much older.

A discussion of a problematic tour cancellation is at the end.

We made our own air arrangements, flying into Bangkok from NY via Heathrow, spent a few days in Bangkok, flew from there to Hanoi, meeting the tour and departing 21 days later from Siem Reap home via Beijing. The AA tour flies from Hanoi to Danang, from Hue to Ho Chi Minh City, and from there to Phonm Penh. Other connections are by comfortable, but not luxurious bus. Plenty of rest stops, and only one really long bus ride from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. There was always plenty of bottled water available on the buses, occasionally at a small cost.

The tour has a tour director, responsible for logistics, restaurants, team spirit, TLC, and additional information, who travels with the group the entire time. Local guides were provided for each region or special site, as well. The tour director was a young Canadian woman who was one of the best tour directors we ever encountered. She not only managed to get everyone out early in the morning, but created good team spirit with her upbeat attitude. The local guides were all knowledgeable and spoke English well. There were 20 persons on this trip, a bit large for AA. Radio sets were not used, so there were occasional problems hearing the local guides. Since much of the tour was in Vietnam, the local guides were reluctant about political and economic issues. The tour director was sometimes helpful, but she was not an expert.

Tipping of local guides, hotel staff, bus drivers, etc. is not necessary; only for the tour director. AA has a “no shopping policy”, so we were spared most of it. There was enough time to go shopping in most places, and especially in Hoi An.

The tour follows a well tuned tourist itinerary. We had 21 days on the ground with the tour. If you compare it with others, there are many similarities, but we thought AA had done well with its choices. Certainly Halong Bay and Angkor Wat are unforgettable. An extra day in Siem Reap allowed us to visit some of the outlying temples: for example, Prasat Beng Maelea (the overgrown temple in “Tomb Raider”) is magical. Hoi An, though touristy, is lots of fun, and beautifully lit up at night – a good place to slow down and relax. An overnight trip to the Meekong delta area and the real floating market at Cai Rang was a highlight. I might not have chosen Phnom Penh, but the palace is spectacular, and the Killing Fields a chilling reminder. Less successful was a trip to the northern Vietnam village of Mai Chau. A long bus ride followed by lunch, an amateur performance of local dances, then shopping in the souvenir festooned village. An enjoyable walk in the countryside, as suggested by other Tripadvisor reports was not included . One does get a good view of the countries during the bus rides.

All the hotels used were very good to excellent. If the reader is familiar with land tours, there is always anxiety as the bus nears the hotel. All of those chosen had a bit of a wow curb appeal, and several had nice amenities like rooftop bars and lovely swimming pools. None of them reached the level of luxury or resort status. All were well located, near attractions. Breakfasts in the hotel ranged from good to sumptuous.

Most of the meals are part of the tour package, and my wife and I were especially concerned since we have not had good experiences on other tours. Let me say that it was generally excellent local food, well presented. Our tour director had made a special effort in this regard – having eaten in many of the places on earlier trips, and checking with other local sources for recommendations. All the meals were prepared for our group, often with many courses and interesting presentations – both in the countryside and the cities. Overall it was something of a culinary experience.

The most negative aspect of our trip occurred two months before leaving when a different trip we had booked to SE Asia with AA was cancelled because too few people signed up. The other trip was called TH6, spent less time in Vietnam, but also visited Laos. Fortunately we were able to switch to the trip we did take, and even change our frequent flyer reservations at modest cost. We booked the trip in mid October 2013, our booking brought the number up to 8/10 of the necessary travelers. We had repeated encouragement from the sales staff that the trip would fill up, but it did not. So buyer beware. We were lucky. AA is entirely upfront about their cancelation policy. They run a very large variety of tours all over the world, and are not the largest tour company around, so their business model results in cancellations. Other companies we have used run many more travelers through a smaller variety of trips, with multiple departures. Some of the AA trips are guaranteed, and they will tell you over the phone how many people have already booked.

Apart from the cancellation, our other experience with their customer service was excellent. They were helpful in answering questions, arranged a couple of references I could contact directly, provided detailed, helpful pre-trip information. Billing and payment was straightforward. AA is not a bargain travel provider, it’s in the middle somewhere, and we believe they provide good value, possibly better than some more expensive companies

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,101 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report on Adventures Abroad to Vietnam and Cambodia

Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip! Lots of folks ask about tours and many of us cannot provide info about them. Hopefully more people will come back and write reports like you did so that others can benefit from them.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,804 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report on Adventures Abroad to Vietnam and Cambodia

I'd just like to mention that Indochina is a very easy destination for independent travel by seniors. I'll be 71 soon, and I've made 6 trips to the region since 2008, and will continue to do so. My last trip in March '14 was to Vietnam only for 18 days. I also travel alone, and now I know Vietnam quite well and I have friends there. I consider Vietnam to be the friendliest place in the region since the Vietnamese people are so very outgoing and curious about westerners (and especially Americans). I spend between $28. and $40. for very comfortable small hotels (breakfast included), and use domestic air travel to get around. If anyone needs information about the area, just PM me. I have not been to Cambodia yet, but know Thailand, Laos and Vietnam quite well. I'm now planning a trip to Malaysia for next spring (I travel to areas where excellent food is my major objective).

Miami
Level Contributor
39 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report on Adventures Abroad to Vietnam and Cambodia

Wow, what a great traveler you must be! My husband and I are trying to plan our trip to SE Asia and, of course, the first thing is to figure out where we'd like to go. We've been in Thailand so we'd like to focus on Vietnam (especially the area around Sapa), Laos and Cambodia although even that might be too much to cover in 3 weeks.

We really like walking/hiking/boating in order to get off the beaten path and explore and we like to travel on our own rather than in groups but I'm not sure I want to plan all the local tours/logistics/ etc.

I would very much welcome your suggestions in terms of where to go, tours we might want to check out, and any other advice you can share.

Thank you very much,

JAT

4. Re: Trip Report on Adventures Abroad to Vietnam and Cambodia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions