We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seniors Travel Partners

ontario
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Seniors Travel Partners

Ok, I am trying to find a travel partner for my mom who is a young 70 + year old. By reading these posts, I realize that there are soooo many people in the same situation. It can't believe it is THIS hard to simply find a travel companion. That's it !!.......I am going to try and start a website for those, and my mom, who simply want to meet someone to travel with to share expenses, travel interests and some companionship.

Please respond back if you have any ideas or interests in helping me set this up.

the world is everyone's oyster....

Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i13626-k73464…

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,415 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

Sunbunny, you realise how much this would cost to set up and insure

People would flock for the easy pickings of setting off with a stranger who will have all their holiday money, credit cards and maybe some valuables with them and knowing they are alone. How would you know that the person who says they are a sweet little old lady on the internet isn't a serial abuser?

There are sites where you can get to know people before you travel but it takes time and some work to get to know someone and even then you can't be sure they are telling the truth.

OK why does your mother need a travel partner. Most people just book a tour or group holiday if they want company.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 20:59
England, United...
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

Sunnybunny, whilst I have no doubt that your motives and intentions are perfectly sincere and well meaning, unless you have the ability to personally vet and verify the credentials of everyone registering for such a service/website, you could end up with a whole lot of trouble ( and possibly litigation) on your hands.

I really don't want to rain on your parade, but honestly, I would suggest that the best way for seniors who have the wherewithal and time to travel to find someone to go with, is to find a travel buddy from within their own community area or from a recommendation by a trusted friend who knows both parties.

Are there no seniors clubs that your Mum could get involved in?

She might meet a circle of folks who could become long term friends and not just travel buddies.

I know there are all sorts of "dating agencies" out there.,some are legit, but a lot are not, and I'm not too sure its a good idea to start another one for potentially vulnerable seniors. I fear it could become a magnet for shysters and exploiters.

Kind, well intentioned regards,

Mondial

ontario
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

It's sad to say but you are all correct in being weary of those who's sole purpose is to take advantage of seniors. It's a sad world when we have to watch out for other human beings being our predators.

Oh well......the thought was there ...for a short while.

Happy and safe travels everyone.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

Throwing this out there for consideration. I haven't been with them, nor on a tour ever. However, I've watched this tour company for women only for a long time, and they get booked up fast when they list the new tours, and some are repeaters, so I figure they must be a good outfit.

http://www.women-traveling.com/

ontario
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

All leads are worth a shot....Thanks Kansas !

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

I don't know if this site has been mentioned before , but if not, you might could look into it:

http://www.travelcompanionexchange.com

Mays Landing, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

hello! i am very interested to also find a suitable travel buddy. i am a 65 year old woman, very active & with no mobility problems. i am a non-smoker looking for the same. i would want to share driving & expenses if we need to rent a car. however, i do want to have my own room. hopefully that is ok with your mother.

i live in southern new jersey outside of the atlantic city area. i am interested to meet up first if at all possible. i would especially like to travel to washington dc, boston, philadelphia, new york city & explore new jersey for starters. i do want to use public transportation to get around in cities.

please let me know if your mother has any interest. thank you.

madison, Ms. USA
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

I m so tired of trvel by my self and have to pay person's price for one person.

i m 68 yrs. old would like to get to know you and your mom. if we are fit may interest talk to you.

10. Re: Seniors Travel Partners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 18:37
Get answers to your questions