We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf in Aberdeenshire

Bentonville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Golf in Aberdeenshire

Currently planning a golf trip to Scotland for two weeks in June, 2011. We plan on starting in the Inverness area, playing Dornoch, Tain and Fortrose and Rosemarkie. Then we plan on going to Aberdeen to play Kingslinks, Hazelhead #1, Balnagask. From there we plan to hit Stonehaven, Abroarth to Carnoustie and then St. Andrews ( at St.A we plan on doing the Old Course and buy a 3 day ticket for unlimited golf at the other courses).

Our problem is that we have a day or two for transit between Inverness and Aberdeen. Does anyone have any recommendations for courses in Aberdeenshire to share? In particular Forres, Buckpool, Strathlene, Duff House Royal, Garmouth and Kingston, Royal Tarlair, Cullen, Fraserburgh or Inverallochy? Any whisky distilleries in the Spey Valley, we must visit? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Lincolnville, Kansas
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf in Aberdeenshire

We were in this area in 2008 on a sixteen day golf trip. We played both Peterhead and the Corbie Course at Fraserburgh on one day. Both wonderful Links courses and I highly recommend both. Our host highly recommended Cruden Bay and after viewing it I am sure we will play it on our next trip.

The next day we played at Cullen on our way to the Highlands. It is perhaps a little quirky with a few holes, but it was one of the best golf experiences of our trip. Beautiful views and a great staff.

Alan Stahlecker

Bentonville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf in Aberdeenshire

Alan, Thanks for your reply. Do you have any advice with regarding to lodging in the area?

Lincolnville, Kansas
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf in Aberdeenshire

While in the Aberdeenshire region, we actually stayed in Peterhead at Clifton Guest House on Queens Street downtown. It has about 8-10 rooms, a pub downstairs in the evening and they served a wonderful breakfast in the morning, with options for a take-along lunch which we used one day to enjoy between our rounds at Peterhead and Fraserburgh.

While on our trip we did also play both the Championship course at Royal Dornoch (our favorite play of the trip!) and the Struie course, as well as Tain and Cullen. We would have loved to play at Stonehaven (a beautiful setting), Royal Tarlair and Arbroath, but we just couldn't fit everything in!!! We did play the Buddon Links at Carnoustie and both the Old Course (via the ballot) and the Eden course at St. Andrews.

Sounds like you are planning to play many of the same courses and areas that we played. Before you go make sure to check into the various vouchers. We saved a significant amount of money using "Green Fee Savers" and "2 Fore 1" Vouchers. We figured we saved enough money with the vouchers to pay for our round at the Old Course!

Have a great trip. I'd love to hear more about it when your plans are finalized and I would also love to hear about it when you get back!

Alan

4. Re: Golf in Aberdeenshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 19:05
Edited: 25 January 2012, 19:05
Bentonville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf in Aberdeenshire

Thanks for your advice regarding lodging in Peterhead. We will be reserving a few courses (but not all) that take 2Fore1 or GreenFree vouchers. Also we are going to spend at least two days in Aberdeen playing Kings Links and Hazelhead #1 among other courses in the area. Most of all we look forward to rubbing elbows with the everyday Scottish golfer.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf in Aberdeenshire

I have played Forres and Duff House Royal which are both fairly good tests of golf. However, for real links golf the best course by far in Aberdeenshire is Cruden Bay. If you are looking for somewhere cheaper close by, Newburgh is a fantastic links golf course (the second nine offers stunning views of the Ytham estuary); a real hidden gem.

It surprises me you are choosing all the municipal courses in Aberdeen; Hazlehead is a good test but the King's Links and Balnagask are poorly maintained and extremely short. The best courses in Aberdeen are Royal Aberdeen (although its pretty expenisive), Murcar, Newmachar and Deeside. Hope this is helpful and enjoy your holiday - i'm very jealous!

New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf in Aberdeenshire

My husband and I just returned from a week golfing in Scotland (and lucked out with nice weather, I might add!). I would highly recommend Castle Stuart, which is near Nairn and just opened in 2009, but has gotten fabulous reviews...and indeed it lived up to it! Gorgeous views and the course is in great condition. Look at the web site and order the DVD (free) of how they created the course, which is very interesting if you are into course architecture. As for Whisky tours, we went from playing CS in the morning to stopping at the Aberlour distillery, which was recommended by many TA forum folks because at the tasting you get 6 (!) drams of different Whiskys, and the tour itself was great. I would also recommend Cruden Bay, which is a bit over an hour north of Aberdeen, fantastic course and views and my personal favorite of the whole week. And if you have time to visit a castle, don't miss Dunnotter Castle in Stonehaven just 10 minutes south of Aberdeen, fantastic ruins and very quaint town.

Bentonville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf in Aberdeenshire

Thanks for your response and opinions! We are "reformatting" the Aberdeenshire portion of the trip. Our plan is to leave Tain on Wednesday morning and be in Carnoustie Friday evening. We are probably only going to try to book Cruden Bay either Thursday afternoon most likely. Thinking of probably playing Stonehaven, Montrose or Arbroath on the way down to Carnoustie.

9. Re: Golf in Aberdeenshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions