We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 July 2016, 08:00
21. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 February 2013, 04:05
22. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

Removed on: 01 February 2013, 04:05
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

The ignorance in this forum amazes me, not having pets in cabin is a health and safety issue, for your benefits!! Allergies and bag escapes can be dangerous to other passengers. Also the pet area of the hold is warm and pressurised and a far calmer area for your pet, yes it's expensive flying using an agent but atleast ur being assisted by someone who knows the rules, regulations and how best to care for your pet. And to all the people saying "they let drunk people on" no they don't, being drunk on a flight is illegal. And babies and kids can't be kept in the hold because they are dependent so they'll just hav to stay in cabin and disrupt your in flight film

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

Thanks for sharing this information and your experience. It would help me a lot definitely as I am planning to travel UK by the end of the month November.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

To all the people moaning about the possibility of sitting next to a pet, I'd like to share my experiences of flying with a cat. We flew from China (where we lived and the cat was born) to Paris by Air France. We were unprepared to put her in the hold so we asked my parents to come and pick us up from Paris to take us all across the channel to the UK. The cat was not drugged in any way and she was perfectly silent during the entire flight. She sat in her carrier on my lap and watched TV with me. Why would this bother anyone? I'm sure this isn't true in all cases, but for a pet owner to take their animal on board they must be fairly confident that they will behave on the trip.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

We also sat at the back of the plane and asked everyone around us if they were OK with having the cat around. Everybody seemed happy to have her there, especially the kids on the next row. Only animals under 6Kg are allowed on board anyway. Are you really going to worry about my 3Kg cat escaping? Not that she would since there are strict regulations on the container. And the health checks she had to go through were ridiculous. I'd be more worried about the humans on board, they won't have had such thorough health checks before boarding!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,660 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

Puke making.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

I brought my Chihuahua with me into the UK and the process was intense. I had to prepare all of the paperwork in advance to prove that she was in good heath (completely agree with this and was very happy to comply). I obviously couldn't fly her into the UK (which I do not understand at all) so I went to Amsterdam and then a train to the hook of Holland, and finally a ferry across to Harwich where I was picked up by a friend. This is the only way I know to get across with a pet if you do not have a car (all of the French Ferries do not allow foot passengers to take pets on board). It was a fine journey and I wasn't sure how my dog would react. I bought sweets and ear plugs for everyone around me and also gave my dog a natural sedative recommended by the vet. I informed everyone sitting near me about the dog and if she disturbed them in anyway to let me know. My dog slept the entire flight (7hours) and didn't make a peep. People were surprised to see me getting off with a dog at the end of the flight.

Everyone that is saying that pets are disruptive during flights have likely had a very unfortunate experience and are making massive judgements.

Naturally I won't compare pets to children, as of course children need to be on flights, but it is most certainly true that pets are not nearly as disruptive as a child aboard a plane.

I chose to put my dog in cabin because pets have been known to die in the cargo hold. I also keep her with me on vacation because it is significantly cheaper than sending her to a kennel for multiple weeks at a time.

I cannot understand how I can bring a pet into the UK via cargo, car, or boat but suddenly bringing her by cabin is not okay. It seems to me that this is a silly loop hole that needs to be corrected. My travels home will certainly become much easier when this is changed (as I'm certain it will). Until then I will leave from Amsterdam until I can buy a car to go to Paris.

Torfaen UK
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

Defra are talking to the airlines via their agency that deals with pet importation into uk. Hopefully something will change soon.

Moreton-in-Marsh...
4 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: UK rules and fees need to be brought into line with the EU

Obviously not a dog lover or owner !