We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline to travel with pets?

Jerusalem, Israel
1 post
Best airline to travel with pets?

I recently traveled from Newark, NJ to Israel on United because of their Petsafe program. My healthy pet cat was dead on arrival with no reason even after a complete autopsy. In the future, I want to know of any other airline, including one just for pets that does overseas flights.

570 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
22 posts
1. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

Air Animal has a lot of info on this kind of thing http://www.airanimal.com/

US to US and US to international flights as well. Sorry to hear about your cat :(

2. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 14:41

Metro...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
3. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

I just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear about your cat passing. Hope you are able to have safer travels in the future.

Best wishes :)

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

I've had pretty good luck on Delta, flying two cats from Detroit to Seattle in "pet cargo". It's relatively inexpensive and they were great about answering all my questions about where my cats would be and how they would be handled. They arrived in Seattle with no problem, and the person picking them up said they were just fine, if only a little scared.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
682 posts
29 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

Lufthansa is #1 in our book. We flew from Denver to Vienna with our dog in cargo and the staff couldn't have been more reassuring. They let you know when your dog is onboard and that the captain has been made aware so he has adjusted tempurature in the cargo area the dog is in to a (we were traveling in winter) 68 degree setting.

We flew again with them last year to Zurich but this time with our Jack Russell in cabin. Again the staff were fabulous.

Fullerton, CA
1 post
2 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

@Operettaman - How many lbs is your JRT? We want to fly with our Corgi in cabin but he weighs more than 20#. Do you know the size carrier you used for your JRT?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
682 posts
29 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

He is around 18 lbs. The carrier I used was a Petgear wheeled backpack. I modified it quite a bit by removing the wheeled base and a few other things to make it more collapsable to fit under the airline seats. Also the mods made the carrier much lighter, which is a good thing as most airlines use total weight of dog and carrier for their limits. Spent about 3 weeks with him riding in the car and carrying him around in the carrier so he was well used to it by the time we flew. Another advantage was we flew Business Class with Lufthansa...plenty of room for Thor and no cramped space for him.We did fly from Denver to Newark in economy...cramped but worked out okay. Where do you fly to?

Edited: 23 June 2013, 16:10
Swansea, United...
1 post
1 review
8. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

This is a good question to ask because I think some airlines do take more care than others. When I stayed in the US for 6 months last year and took my springer spaniel from the UK to the US I used a commercial pet shipping agent (passportforpets.co.uk) because I felt more comfortable knowing that these people have been doing this for many years. I flew with British Airways with my dog in the hold in a kennel on the same flight. I'm pleased to say that all went well and my dog appeared none the worse for his experience. I think that asking around to hear what others say is a good thing to do because your pet trusts you to make the right decision for them!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1 post
9. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

Appreciate your post. Am considering Delta to fly Hawaii to Atlanta. Chose Delta because they are based in Atlanta and wanted to take the most direct flight possible so not to traumatize my pets any more than necessary. Have you ever heard anything negative about Delta? I need to decide soon. Thanks

North Hollywood...
1 post
10. Re: Best airline to travel with pets?

I would never in a million years check an animal below a plane. I love my animals too much to treat them like baggage.

Reply to: Best airline to travel with pets?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted