We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving out of state with cats

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Moving out of state with cats

I will be moving out of state in a few months and have two cats to take with me. My last move within the same city (only 45 minutes away) was horrible: the cats were crying and batting each other the whole car ride. I kept them in separate pet carriers, but they just hate traveling in the car.

Does anyone have any advice for traveling with the cats for a 6-8 hour car ride? I'll be taking them in a Honda Civic. Unlike dogs, I can't let them out to go to the bathroom every few hours, so is my only option to put down liners in their carriers?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving out of state with cats

We've traveled from Alaska to NM to Montana with cats.

One of our cats we had to take to our vet to get kitty tranquilizers, which worked very well. Otherwise, she will howl for 3000 miles LOL! That kitty is now in kitty heaven.

Our remaining cat does well if we, with all windows rolled up & doors secured, let him out within the vehicle to go to the kitty litter box, a small plastic box that fits perfectly on the floor of the back seat. We also have a heavy ceramic water bowl with just a little bit of water so as not to spill, which we keep on the back seat. Then Mr. Cat goes back secure into his cage.

Good luck with figuring out what works best for your feline friends.

Lakehouse
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving out of state with cats

I too had equally horrible experience for car travel with cat and hence forth leave it back home and caretaker attending every second day to clean litter and replenish food. Cats are highly territorial.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving out of state with cats

denalicat: Wow, if you went from Alaska to Montana with catS, then I surely can just go to the next state over with mine. Great idea to use cat tranquilizers! I think mine will be fine with your second solution though. There's only one way to find out!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving out of state with cats

If all else fails and you end up driving for several hours with howling cats, I suggest turning the radio up to drown them out a bit, and when you really really reach your boiling point, tell them in the nicest, friendliest tone possible just how miserable they are being and making you, and what you might like to do to them to shut them up - they think you are commiserating with them, and you get to vent - best of both worlds.

ktown

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving out of state with cats

With cats we've done New Mexico to Alaska. Alaska to New Mexico. New Mexico to Montana. Montana to New Mexico. New Mexico to Montana.

When we leave Mr. Cat at home overnight he vomits all over to show us how he feels about it. He travels very well except the time he got stuck up in the bed springs in a motel LOL. We use a mid-size dog cage for extra room.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving out of state with cats

If you're thinking of tranquilizing your cat, you might talk to your vet about doing a trial run. I thought of tranquilizing one of my three cats when I took them with me for six months in S CA from Michigan. Fortunately the vet suggested trying a light dose to see how he did with it. He got very nauseous and agitated so I didn't use it for the drive. He did become a pretty good traveler after all those days on the road.

We had a box spring problem too with the littlest one refusing to come out when it was time to go one morning.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,231 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving out of state with cats

We have done this numerous times due to military moves, usually cross country though.

Definitely take the advise of doing a trail run with tranquilizers. We did not do a trial run, and it was a disaster with those particular cats.

Also, the advise of keeping the cat litter box on the floor of the back seat worked well for us. I did keep it in a large plastic garbage bag when it was not in use just in case we had to stop quickly or anything as I didn't want that tossed all over, lol.

On our last move, our cat howled the entire time. Nothing would calm her down. We even had one of the kids in the back seat next to her carrier, to no avail. She survived though and got over it.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving out of state with cats

We had a very active cat that traveled wonderfully in the car. We never used a carrier, he just moved around. Wouldn't you know it, the favorite spot was on the driver's lap with a paw through the steering wheel. A big no-no. Once we got over that hurdle it all went smoothly. He always wore a collar, that way we had a little bit more control over him at rest stops. He actually had a halter and could "walk" on a leash. Actually he went where he wanted and we followed him.

9. Re: Moving out of state with cats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 07:15