We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
58 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

Hi! We are moving a dog from his hometown to a new town - within the US. He will be riding on the same plane as a relative - but in cargo. There will be a change of planes.

We've never shipped a dog before. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
9 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

Shipping your pet can be a very nerve racking experience, however getting great information early makes it a breeze! Are you delivering the dog to the airport? If so, the biggest hurdle is the kennel. Many kennels are advertised as "airline approved" but are not. I could type all the information I have discovered, but the one place that made my international transfer of my pets easy was "Dryfur". I went step by step through the intructions on this website and when I arrived to check in, the ticket agent were absolutely amazed at how little work they needed to do to get us on our way.

Your pet will be transfered and your relative will receive a form saying that your pet has been loaded at each transfer also. Once I read Dryfur, everything went smoothly (for our cat and dog).

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

I would advise to avoid shipping your dog when weather temperatures are extreme, such as hot or cold. With air travel delays are possible, and having your dog wait on the tarmac in bad weather would be hard on him/her. I realize someone else has to make advance reservations, but for example avoid summer.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
58 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

Hi-thanks for your concern - the airline information available online does state the same thing - they won't even take a pet in cargo in hot weather.

No sense in taking chances. Our date to ship the dog is actually Friday.

Don't know if it will end up working out or not. ??? THANKS AGAIN for taking time to reply! :)

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

Hope it went well! I'm sure others would like to hear your feedback, e.g. which airline and how the dog was after reaching the final destination.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
58 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

HI! The end result was that the dog was too large for the kennel that would have fit on the airplane.

There are larger airplane cargo door openings but not on the airplanes that go on the route we needed.

We still need to get the dog from Cleveland Ohio area to the Southwest area of

Oklahoma. We had planned to fly the dog to Tulsa, where his new family had planned to pick him up.

We are in a holding pattern now but still hoping that something will work out soon! Thanks so much for your concern! :)

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
58 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

If you want more specific information about our situation, here it is:

Our adult daughter was flying from Cleveland Ohio to Tulsa OK on business.

She was going to meet relatives at the CLE airport. The dog was going to be ready to go.

Because we knew the dog is large, but not sure if too large. the previous week, the temporary caretaker took the dog to the vet to be weighed and measured - to decide on a kennel size. Also, we had to have air worthiness type paperwork from the vet that the dog was in good health, with proper shots, etc...

It was at that time that we learned exactly how big (tall) the dog is and that

this dog required the largest (500 series) kennel.

The airplane cargo door is 28" high. The dog kennel for the 500 series is 29" high. Therefore out plan is out - the kennel just won't fit!

We were going to send the dog with our daughter and pay $175 because they would be on the same flight. We were going to use American Airlines.

We made a reservation through their pet care desk and also I talked to someone at AA about this situation.

They don't charge you the fee until you are at the check in desk with the dog so we didn't end up having to pay anything.

The reason we are doing this is because the dog belonged to my brother-in-law. He just passed away from cancer. He was 52 and a Marine veteran.

We have a great home on a farm in Oklahoma lined up for him but just need to

get him down there!

Thanks again! :)

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

How about posting on the road trip, Cleveland, and Oklahoma forums to see if there's anyone who is driving between the two who'd have room in their heart and their vehicle to help you out?

I wouldn't hesitate to throw down the back seats in my van and bring the big guy along if I were traveling that route.

Also, is the dog a purebred? If so, there may be a breed rescue group in one or both of those locations who could recommend doggy couriers for you.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
58 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

Hi! GREAT idea! I will check with the breeder group - see if they have any info.

This is a BIG DOG & his current caretaker doesn't think anyone would be

able to handle this dog in any car because he's like a giant puppy or a small pony. Lots of energy, I guess! THANKS AGAIN!

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

This forum gives such a wonderful information with respect to travel with pets..... I like this........

Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sending a dog on a plane - info please?

I'm so glad the dog was too big to fly! I was sitting on a flight (United) and just happened to be in the last row. I heard this dog underneath just barking it's poor little heart out. I asked the flight attendant out of curiousity if dogs have ever died on a flight. Her answer, "ALL THE TIME." She said they die of seizures, heart attacks, and over all STRESS ALL THE TIME. She said it's freezing down their too. So many dogs have died while she's been a flight attendant that you could tell she was very angry... she made some comments that I'm not going to repeat. As the flight took off, the barking got worse (more loud and frantic). After a few minutes in the air, it just stopped. We didn't hear any barking for the next 5 hours and no barking when we landed. :(