We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to travel from UK to Bulgaria with my dog,

Belfast, Northern...
3 posts
Save Topic
best way to travel from UK to Bulgaria with my dog,

I understand I need pet passport , vac's like rabies etc, do I supply my own carrier ( he is a large dog) ? and would he travel on same plane etc to me ?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
661 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to travel from UK to Bulgaria with my dog,

Usually you need to supply your own carrier. Check with the airline to get specific answers on cost of taking the dog and acceptable carriers. When we flew the first time and our dog was in the hold he definitely went on the same flights. Lufthansa (our carrier) was great about letting you know when your dog is on board and that the captain was aware as well so the temperature in the hold would be adjusted for comfort. You should check as to how difficult it may be getting back into the UK with your dog after your visit.

Belfast, Northern...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to travel from UK to Bulgaria with my dog,

Thank you for the response, I took my dog to the USA back in 06.. but had awful trouble getting the regime right for the return.. Vets here still aren't even used to doing rabies shots.. I rang several re the vac, and the vet nurses hadn't a clue ? I bought a nice big carrier last flight , but was told the airline that carries pets within the EU might supply one ? still haven't decided if I am flying into Bulgaria or Romania, just trying to get as much info as possible ?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
661 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to travel from UK to Bulgaria with my dog,

I would think that the airline would charge you for use of their carrier, that is if they have one on hand for your flight. Better to bring your own that is airline approved. Nothing worse than to show up for your flight and they do not have anything for your dog to go in. Either way you need to let the airline know in advance you are bringing a dog.

4. Re: best way to travel from UK to Bulgaria with my dog,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:21