We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

San Francisco
7 posts
Save Topic
15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

So we are planning a trip to Europe in the Spring and have 13 actual days to play with. We are flying into Paris. My husband wants to hit Normandy to see the D-Day sites - was thinking 2 or 3 days for that. I have been to Paris a few times already and my husband has not - but he has no desire to wander in any museums in Paris. I was thinking 2 days would be good for Paris then. Where else should we go? We want to travel mostly by train. And we will have our very well behaved small dog with us.

Thanks!!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,772 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

You are getting answers on your France Forum thread...

This is a loooooong journey for a dog, take that into consideration (I'm sure you have, but please think again, and then again)

OF COURSE your dog is well behaved

But so are all dogs and children going on a long flight as far as all the parent/owner posters that have EVER shown up on TA are concerned...

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

We have taken our Jack Russell with us twice to Austria, Switzerland, and Italy. We will return in June to Germany, Austria, and Italy with him for over 30 days. Do you have all the info you need to take your dog?

On all occasions we (and he) had a wonderful time and were well received everywhere. Don't let any naysayers get you down. Have a wonderful trip!

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

I wonder how big is the dog anyway, by 15 days of traveling must be quite stressful for any dog.

San Francisco
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

Thanks Operettaman! Yeah, I'm ignoring the naysayers. We've travelling with our dog before and she was totally fine.

Harry - she's 12 pounds only. She's a small dog and we will fly economy premiere - or whatever it's called on Air France.

San Francisco
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

I didn't realize that there was a pet related forum. And I thought by asking in this specific one, I could possibly get the attention of those who HAVE travelled with their pets - instead of naysayers who send me messages.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

Have you taken your dog to Europe before? There are many things to do for prep...USDA/APHIS paperwork, proper microchip that is 15 digit EU required etc. I take it you have already let Air France know about your pal coming with you and are aware of their carrier requirements. If you need any help you can PM me.

Having Thor with us on our trips has gotten us in many more nice conversations with locals than we ever had before traveling with him.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

I write 2 blogs about travel in Crete and Cyprus with dogs - trying to cover everything from accommodation, day trips, and local legislation about animals (on beaches etc). I would definitely recommend you try to get across to Greece if you can...

travelcretewithyourdog.blogspot.gr

travelcypruswithyourdog.blogspot.gr

Hope this helps!

8. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2013, 12:34
Portland, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

I too am planning to travel to Europe with my small dog, soon. I was unaware of all the preparations that are needed to travel with a dog! I am seeing that many of you have mentioned that 15 days is quite the trip for a dog and could make them stressed out. What are ways to ease the stress and calm their nerves?

10. Re: 15 days to Europe with dog - itinerary help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:19