We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cold fried chicken

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,289 posts
17 reviews
Cold fried chicken

In NYC, a well respected chef with many restaurants around the world is now offering Fried Chicken....straight from the fridge!

grubstreet.com/2018/04/dave-chang-fried-chic…

In other words, just cold fried chicken.

I must admit it intrigues me and I bet it tastes good because I know I've eaten my own cold roast chicken leftovers straight from the fridge and it tastes good. His chicken would be even better!

But I'm also thinking is this the latest way to save money? No heating up, no need to adorn the plate with anything pretty. Just slap some cold chicken on a plate and hand it out.

Is there any other food around the world that usually gets eaten hot but can be just as good if it's cold?

26 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,228 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: Cold fried chicken

Aynat,

Thanks for the interesting share, I also like cold fried / roast chicken..

Link below from Huff Post

13 Leftovers That Taste Better Cold

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bon-appetit/1…

Adding quiche & souffle to the list.

Kesh_grammy

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
182 reviews
2. Re: Cold fried chicken

@Aynat62

Nice share and thoughts

<<<But I'm also thinking is this the latest way to save money? No heating up, no need to adorn the plate with anything pretty. Just slap some cold chicken on a plate and hand it out.<<< .... completely agree with you

<<<Is there any other food around the world that usually gets eaten hot but can be just as good if it's cold?>>>> ..... Oh well so many pie, roast beef, lamb, pizza, various soups, turkey, pasta and on and on

One that isn't is a Margarita but that is a story for another day still laugh thinking about that warm margarita in Rome

Best

SEBESZ

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,289 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Cold fried chicken

Yes you could eat lots of food cold at home but would you expect to see them at a restaurant?

I couldn’t imagine cold pasta or lasagna for example. That would be gluggy and the pasta would stick together unless it was cooked with a lot of oil to begin with.

But maybe Momofuku will start a new food trend!

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
45,726 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Cold fried chicken

I can see chicken, although you don't expect it in a restaurant. But you wouldn't be surprised if you asked a hotel to pack a picnic basket, and cold fried chicken was included.

My wife is making meatloaf now for dinner. I will enjoy it, but enjoy cold meatloaf sandwiches more tomorrow. And I am one of those that likes turkey sandwiches more than the turkey on Holidays.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
409 reviews
5. Re: Cold fried chicken

<<Is there any other food around the world that usually gets eaten hot but can be just as good if it's cold?>>

Absolutely, in fact a lot of the appetisers in Chinese food are known as cold dish, be it chicken, shrimps, crabs or vegetables.

Also many local desserts here were originally hot but are now served both hot and cold, I guess the hot weather here makes it more refreshing when served cold with shaved ice added or chilled. Some examples:

Cheng Tng (a sweet soup) - recipesaresimple.com/cheng-tng-recipe-health…

Bubur Cha Cha (a coconut milk based dessert) - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubur_cha_cha

Tau Fu Fah or Tau Huay (Soya Bean Pudding) - https:/…

One of my favourites is a Teochew (Chaozhou) cold fish (Mullet), chilled immediately after the fish is steamed.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/healt…

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,385 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Cold fried chicken

Interesting, perhaps!

I eat left over cold chicken at home. More because I hate waste rather than because I prefer it or even really enjoy it cold. I tend to not eat fried chicken, even hot, because that's far too heavy with that coating, and have never eaten it cold. That has zero appeal to me personally, however tasty it might have been hot.

As to that list Kesh has posted.

Cold pasta? Especially, covered in a buttery sauce? Yuk! Cold pizza, ditto!

I've several times been served cold ramen noodles in Japan. It's a very popular summer treat and has been an included dish in several multi course set meal, hence why I've encountered it so much. It's been OK, saved by a delicious dipping sauce, but overall, I prefer my noodles hot and would never order it specifically. At least the noodles strands stay separate.

Cooked fish, left to get cold on purpose, is a common Friday night supper (shabbat) in Jewish households, when you are not supposed to cook anything, but my grandmother's version was certainly worth avoiding; greasy and indigestion inducing cardboard is being polite about it! I've also encountered cold fish at breakfast in Japan as part of a set breakfast in ryokans. Another dish I struggle to eat, but you often also get a hot fish which I relish, so it's not the time of day that puts me off, but that it's cold.

I love roast lamb, perhaps my favourite of the classic British roasts, but again I don't care for cold lamb, as I find the mouth feel of cold lamb fat unappealing to me, and only eat it again as I hate waste. MrSWT loves a cold lamb sandwich, though, so he usually eats up the left overs.

Cold beef is quite different. Lightly seared and served very rare and sliced wafer thin and I'm there, salivating! Think carpaccio or beef tataki, among several versions from around the world.

There are a number of dishes, part of several different cuisines are are cooked hot, but left to get cold before they are eaten. Many Turkish and other Middle eastern mezes include these kinds of dishes, whether meat or vegetable based, come to mind, off the top of my head.

My mother used to make a Chinese pork dish (maybe this is on of Billy's appetizers?) that was designed to be eaten cold, and it sat in a very aromatic jelly, based on star anise.

Vichyssoise is lovely as a chilled, summer soup (but I also like it hot in winter, as mere leek and potato soup).

A baked cheesecake is never eaten hot!

Finally, here's some food for thought (pun intended):

https:/…

SWT

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,289 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Cold fried chicken

Cold pizza, never!

Cold roast beef is good on a sandwich. Add mustard or pickles and it’s a treat. A bit like pastrami.

Billy, lots of yummy things mentioned by you!

I think I’ll have to give the Momofuku cold fried chicken a try next time I’m in NYC.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,228 posts
292 reviews
8. Re: Cold fried chicken

No to the cold pizza, and I can't see me having cold lasagna or Lo mein.

Kesh_grammy

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
409 reviews
9. Re: Cold fried chicken

@SWT, I am not a fan of cold noodles if Ramen Keisuke is the cold ramen that you are referring to. However, Soba is almost always eaten cold though I have also tried hot Soba which was quite different but acceptable.

Is this the cold Tied Knuckle Pork dish that you mentioned?

…blogspot.sg/2009/…

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,811 posts
141 reviews
10. Re: Cold fried chicken

Although I love cooking for Christmas, I'm worn out by Boxing Day & go "off duty", so everyone has to help themselves to leftovers. There have been sulks over who ate the last of the pigs in blankets ( sausages wrapped in streaky bacon), the stuffing balls, or the cold roasted spuds. I also cook a whisky & marmalade glazed ham & it's better cold, as is the Christmas pud (with slab of cheese).

I once had sour cherry soup, & didn't realise it was meant to be eaten cold. Very odd taste but very refreshing.

Edited: 27 May 2018, 00:29
Reply to: Cold fried chicken
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions