We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's this about house boating?...

Level Contributor
3,053 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Topic
What's this about house boating?...

Are people really house boating?

Are you a recent convert or have you been house boating for years?

Is it a new trend?

If so, why? What is the draw?

What kind of boats?

What kind of accessories?

Where do you go?

Where do you stay?

What are the demographics?

Thanks.

TripAdvisor Forums Team

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,572 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's this about house boating?...

There is excellent houseboating opportunities in the Delta here in NorCal. Several great companies to book with, and over a thousand miles of water ways to explore and enjoy! Most of the boats will easily accomodate 10-12 people, and there are great restaurants and such also. They even have hot tubs and "fireplaces" on some of the large, plush new boats! It makes a wonderful vacation! Also, there is Lake Shasta and several of the other "local" lakes that afford the same opportunity! They are mostly equipped with everything but food and linens.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's this about house boating?...

I heard of house boating in Pennsylvania, Raystown Lake, rates run about $600 to $1800 www.7pointsmarina.com I have never done this before, but a co-worker has.

California
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's this about house boating?...

It's great as both a family and just adults vacation. We go every year, and tow a friends ski boat. Both Delta and Shasta have many rental companies. It's relatively inexpensive, if you compare it to the costs associated with hotels/restaurants/theme park vacations. We also take tubes, and tie those up behind to float in as we putt along.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's this about house boating?...

I am not sure if it is a new trend in the USA but we have done this for over 30 years in australia starting out with a motor cruiser on the hawkesbury river near sydney.

today the vessels are custom built and basically apartments on the water catering from 2 to12 people.

Other great spots we have been in australia are the myall lakes,murray river and fraser island.There are many other places we want to see in the future including lakes entrance in victoria and possibly close to home on the noosa river here on the sunshine coast.

The pleasure is it gives you a completely different perspective on the area,it is very relaxing and you can decide where you will spend your time.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's this about house boating?...

It's not a new trend. I've been houseboating since I was a kid and I'm in my 50's. We've done some excellent rentals in rivers flowing into the Gulf Coast of south Florida. And we have also houseboated for 3 to 5 days at a time here in Georgia on several of the larger lakes and it's a blast. One secret is to not book a bigger houseboat than you can handle. Something in the 30 to 40 foot range is about right and plenty of room for one or two couples or a family. It's like renting a lake cabin that you can go sightseeing in. We have a friend that owns a 68 foot, 16 foot beam, multi level $250,000 behemoth on Lake Lanier, north of Atlanta and it pretty much just stays at the dock. The few times he has taken it out on the lake, he has scared the heck out of everybody with his close calls. One weekend when we were staying with him and his wife on the boat, we took it out and I showed him how to use his bow thrusters which make maneuvering a boat that big in close quarters a lot easier. When we were returning to his dock, all of his friends who also owned boats there saw him approaching the dock and they all, as a group, started screaming and running off the dock like a crowd of Japanese running from Godzilla in Tokyo. It was hilarious and done as a joke. But they were absolutely stunned when we moored the boat without bumping into anything.

As for demographics, in rentals it can be any age, but I would say from the upper 20's on up is the majority. As for purchasing a houseboat that is an older demographic because to buy a houseboat, especially a huge fancy one, requires a certain affluence normally found amongst older people. Many form informal "clubs" with others at their particular dock and meet at least a couple times a month and have joint cook out/parties covering the entire dock, boat hopping from boat to boat. And if they've had a little too much to drink, their bedroom is right there. The weekend we visited our friends, we played until the wee hours and the next day, about noon had a group champagne brunch.

We are considering buying a boat ourselves (not a big one) and joining our friends at their dock.

When I first moved to England back in 1981, I actually leased and lived aboard a "canal boat" on the Great Ouse River in East Anglia. It was about 40 foot long and narrow in the beam to accomodate some of the narrow locks that connect some of England's rivers. I rarely took it out on the river except to make the occasional pub crawl (they have pubs along the rivers with docks so you can stop off for a pint or two) between where I lived and Cambridge. But the winter of 81-82 in England was pretty bitter and that boat was impossible to keep warm, so I moved into a 350+ year old haunted farm cottage out on the fens of East Anglia. At least it was warm

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,572 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's this about house boating?...

Love you story Nuke! And you are so right about everything! The problem we have out in NorCal is finding a decent boat that is small enough! Most companies seem to think everyone travels in herds!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's this about house boating?...

KatD, what's your puppy's name? We have two, one of them a terrier mix, Ollie, who swims like a rock but loves playing "hood ornament" at the front of the boat when we're on the lake. I made him a special harness that keeps him on the boat. The other one, a Madoodle (Maltese/Dachsund/Poodle), named Daisy that can swim like an otter but doesn't care for the lake much. She spends most of her time sleeping inside the boat.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's this about house boating?...

A couple of years ago, we spent 5 days on a houseboat on Lake Powell along the Arizona/Utah border. We combined it with a Grand Canyon/Sedona trip. We were 2 families with 5 kids along (7, 8, 8, 11, 12). We towed a powerboat for tubing and wakeboarding as well as excursions. There was a slide off the back of the boat which was fun. The water and scenery were stunning.....it was a fabulous vacation. It did take work, though, as there are not restaurants there. We shopped and brought along all our food. It was hot and navigating had a bit of a learning curve, but it was worth it! The skies were clear night and day and it was very peaceful! To "dock" at night you simply ram the boat up on the beach. You can have a bonfire on the beach. The kids all want to go back and do it again!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What's this about house boating?...

Houseboats are available for rental on the St. John's River west of Deland, Florida. (North of Orlando in Volusia County)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,572 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's this about house boating?...

Nuke-Her name is Abbi-my 4th mini Schnauzer, and definitely a spoiled only "child", and a challenge! I had either cats, kids or both with the other 3 (they were all salt/pepper) and it was much easier! She was a year old in Jan., and keeps us laughing most of the time. I haven't had a chance to see if she swims-but enjoyed the "swims like a rock" with yours. Would love to see pics., as I can't quite visualize the combo!

Get answers to your questions