We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northeast usa help

Mt. Carmel, IL
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Northeast usa help

We are trying to plan a driving vacation to the NE this June (2nd and 3rd) weeks. Any info on outdoor activities in this area I guess and Canada also would like to visit Niagra Falls and the start of the applacian trail, will be traveling with my wife , 17 yr old son and 13 yr old daughter any information in this area would be greatly appreciated. We have about 12 days to travel any and all activities considered. Will be leaving from southern Illinois around Interstate 64

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northeast usa help

How far east do you plan to travel? It will be a very nice time of year to visit NE and there are alot of options depending on how much driving you want to do.

Give an idea about daily driving limits, what sorts of activities- hiking, biking, kayaking, etc and then can make some suggestions.

FYI - Niagra Falls to Concord, NH is about 9-10 hrs,- Can give you many scenic routes but it will help if you tell me if you want to drive a day and explore for next 2 then drive again- etc

Thanks

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northeast usa help

The start of the Appalachian trail is in Baxter State park in Maine, a considerable drive from Niagara Falls. It is a great area to visit but will involve a lot of driving. If you really want to see both areas you will spend a lot of your time driving at least 10 hrs to Niagara from IL and another 12-13hrs to Baxter park area. If you give more specifics we can give more info but for now I have a couple suggestions. Check out Attitash Bear Resort in NH as a place to stay for a couple days, its a great scenic area in the heart of the White Mountains. In Maine you might consider whitewater rafting. There are two rivers, the Kennebec and the Penobscot the later being more intense the former more relaxed but still enough to get the thrill.

There is a lot to do on the Canadian side in Niagara Falls. The American side is kind of dingy except for the park which is wonderful. Othere than the Canadian Niagara Falls I would spend all the time in the US there is plenty to see and do. You have the potential for some great scenic drives through the mountains of the Northest (Adirondacks, Green, and White mountains)

Mt. Carmel, IL
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northeast usa help

Thanks guys for the prompt posts with my time and schedule I cant get on often enough for quick responses. My wife is not sure that we will go to niagra falls this trip she thinks maybe only a NY trip for this. she would like to go to the start of the app. trail and day hike there and see the sights and does not know what she wants to do. because we have never traveled in this direction always out west. she says travel down the east coast shore line and eat good sea food. so with this in mind I guess a senic route thru the mts.to the coast and down somewhere before heading home. With maybe some rafting\kayaking and day hikes along the way. Kids will love it lol. With this in mind tell me any options to keep them all happy. Like always I'm along for the ride. Thanks again.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northeast usa help

Lol at "along for the ride", your the one trying to do the planning but cant plan it your way, I'll be there someday when kids are older. I am still quite confused as to what exactly you want this trip to be, thats probably because you are confused :o). You area covering such a large area so its best to try to fine tune what you want to do and where you want to spend your most time. To get to the start of the Appalachian trail you will need to go to Baxter park, this is a very rural area with few hotels so you will need to make reservations soon. If you just wanted to see Niagara falls you could incorporate it into your drive to the NE and not go that far out of the direct travel path but I agree trying to do the Niagara area and NY and Maine all in one trip would be a stretch. As far a route of travel to get a scenic drive head up into NY and come across VT and NH via RT2,3,4 area. This will take a little longer than interstate driving but will be much more scenic. You could go up to Niagara falls for just a day and then come across 90 (NY State Throughway) to make this connection.

You could stay in Millinocket, ME to be near Baxter or at one of the smaller towns on the eastern edge of the park, to find accomidations in the park at this point will be difficult. Check out www.maineinns.com for lodging choices. In this same area you can whitewater raft on the Penobscot or Kennebec river the Penobscot is more difficult and thrilling and the Kennebec a littel more tame but still a thrill. A great place for hiking in the "Gulf Hagas" area. Hiking hear would involve a portion of the Appalachian trail (but not the start). This is just east of the town of Greenville which would be another great place to stay.

You could then head down and spend a couple days along the coast of Maine. There will be plenty of great fresh seafood to eat. Personally if you are coming this far I would spend my whole trip in Maine instead of trying to stretch it out. Bar Harbor, Acadia National park is probably the most popular place, it is beautiful and also will offer great hiking/biking opportunities.

The choice is yours but I think if you try to cover too much of an area in one trip it will not be as good, we have made this mistake before. I prefer to just get the driving over and then get to the vacation. Sure a day stop one the way and back maybe but to stop several times along the way and then go "down the east coast" will leave you wishing you had more time to stay at each place. Just my opinion. Once you figure out just what you want to do, or what your wife and kids want to do I guess, if you have more questions ask away.

5. Re: Northeast usa help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 00:16