We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip w/a 13 yr old girl

virginia
7 posts
Save Topic
Family trip w/a 13 yr old girl

Looking for a place that a 13 year old would love...last year was Niagara Falls and we had a great time. Love to go to New York, but staying in Manhattan (or shopping district) is way to expensive. Also have talked about Orlando (Walt Disney World). We visited there when she was 6. Any ideas? We have also thought about Nashville...but not really into country music.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip w/a 13 yr old girl

Hmm lets see for something fairly close by you could try the Jersey Shore. Wildwood has a great beac h/boardwalk area and is very popular with young teens it would be a half days drive away probably depending on where you are in VA. What type of things do you all like. Niagara and NY led me to think attractions and shopping as opposed to outdoorsy stuff. One place that I strongly recommend to anyone for natural scenery is northern AZ, a week in the Sedona and Grand Canyon area is wonderful but not sure how well a 13yo would like it unless she is into awe inspirin scenery.

If you were going to FL for theme parks other options for that would be San Antonio, TX (Sea World, Six Flags) or southern CA (Sea World, Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm, Disneyland, etc). There are a lot of malls and outlets in southern CA as well.

Your choices are endless your are in a good location (half way) to drive anywhere on the east coast.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
58 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip w/a 13 yr old girl

Is Williamsburg just too close to home? Plenty of theme park options there, plus Williamsburg itself.

But we're from the midwest, so it's all very exotic to us. ;)

virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip w/a 13 yr old girl

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize there was a Six Flags in San Antonio; I knew there was one in Georgia. We had talked about San Antonio not too long ago because my husband had been there on business and said it was a great place to visit.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip w/a 13 yr old girl

We spent 8 days in San Antonio last spring and it was great. There is the Six Flags Fiesta Texas in the north part of the city. We thought the Sea World there was better than the one in Orlanda and San Diego. Also there is a massive water park, Schlitterbahn, about 45 minutes north in New Braunfels. Schlitterbanh has been repeately voted the best waterpark in the world.

Also the Natural Bridge Caverns and the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch were great. We have been to several caverns and this one ranks near the top. The Wildlife Ranch is basically a drive through zoo, most of the animals roam freely (not the giraffes and Rhinos) and will come right up to your car and stick there heads in the window if you let them.

The downtown Riverwalk area was interesting with lots of great restaraunts. You can see the Alamo which was not really that impressive but its just one of those things that is great to say you have seen, "I've been to the Alamo".... There are certainly an endless number of shopping malls there and interesting shops at Market Square. We were there during Fiesta week so that was interesting as well, a big party but the day time events we went to were great, big parades. Very crowded downtown during the events but still manageable.

Depending on how long you wanted to vacation you could take a couple days and go down to the coast, Corpus Christy area.

A really good fairly inexpensive hotel there is the Drury Inn and Suites. There are actually several of them in the city and they offer some things that are different from many hotels, like a free hot breakfast, free beverages all day, free cocktails in the evening, a free snacks in the evening. They also offer free long distance calling so you can keep in touch with family back home.

San Antonio is worth consideration

5. Re: Family trip w/a 13 yr old girl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 23:20