We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

Burgess Hill...
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

So we're possibly going to do Disney Florida or Disney LA with our 2.5 year old in May. Obviously because of his age we're limited to rides by height and he's mainly going to be interested in the parades and characters anyway. Any tips for either Park with a toddler? Anyone done both to compare? Any tips on how to meet characters without standing in queues for ages? Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
30,099 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

Tips on how to meet characters without standing in queues?... Hmmm, you will have to line up at times, sometimes theres no gettng around it

The height restrictions will be the same for toddlers at either park

There are better forums here to post on- The Orlando and Anaheim Forums are where you'll find all the Disney experts and Top Questions...

Better to try those for lots of ideas/tips on each location

Burgess Hill...
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

Thanks, will do.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

Go where you want to go, which area appeals to you? A toddler will not care and will not remember the trip as he gets older. These parks cann be quite overwhelming for small kids.

Have you thought of Paris? And save Disneyland/World until he is older?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,408 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

When would you be going? How long do you have? What area sounds more appealing for the rest of your holiday - Southern California or Florida?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,699 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

In all honesty, I feel you will all be happier if you wait until the child is 4 or 5 before taking him to those giant, overwhelming, exhausting, noisy, hot, crowded parks. I'm having shivers just thinking about the tendency of 2.5 year olds to sprint away in those humungous crowds. Trying to get him to understand why you have to stand in such long lines, etc. Personally, we waited until our kids were almost 4 and 5.5 before our first trip. Even then, my not-quite-four year old was pretty frightened and overwhelmed by much of what was going on and we had to coax him quite a bit to do things, and some things he simply balked and refused to do.

Disney does have a good policy for families with younger children where, once you get to the front of the line, one adult can stay back with the younger child and wait for the other adult and older children to complete the ride, then you can pass the small child off to the first adult and the second adult can jump on the ride.

I haven't been to Disneyworld for a very long time, but I do recall that while they had a lot of the same rides, they were longer. The rides at Disneyland were shorter, which might be better for a very small child.

London, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

Hi there,

We went to Disneyworld Florida (never have done california) last year with our 2 year old and 8 year old and to echo what previous posters have stated I would agree to maybe wait until they are a little older to be able handle it and appreciate it a lot more. Disneyworld is so busy and very, very crowded its so hard to navigate around the park especially with a youngster. There are queues everywhere you turn, i found it overwhelming even as an adult. We managed to do a few rides in Magic Kingdom but I personally felt it would have been better to wait until my youngest is a bit older. Its a lot of money to spend thinking maybe you should have waited. You maybe better off going to Disneyland Paris instead.

Boston...
Level Contributor
535 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

When it is time to go (and I agree, no hurry), I prefer LA Disney over Florida by a huge margin, especially with smaller kids (more manageable), but even with big ones (less expensive, easy to walk between the parks, and LA has way more to offer as a destination)

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
176 reviews
8. Re: Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler

i took my son to Disneyland when he was just under 3 years old. It was part of a trip to visit family in California.

He remembers none of it. It was hot, busy and I ended up hiring a stroller to push him around in as he was exhausted.

If it was me I'd wait a few years so the child can better appreciate the whole atmsophere of the place.

i haven't been to Disneyworld in Florida, or Disney paris so can't compare.

Reply to: Disney Florida vs Disney LA for a Toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted