We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

intrepid travel in china

south staffordshire
4 posts
Save Topic
intrepid travel in china

We are considering booking an original type tour with intrepid travel to china - 21 days essence of china. Does anyone have experience of this tour or company in China and how the trips actually work?

We are a family of 4 with two girls aged 14 and 17 both are up for the trip after reading the tour notes - we are concerned that family tours will have much younger children and they will end up looking after the younger ones. We have travelled in America and Australia before, mix of independent and group travel but realise that if may be very different in China.

We know it will be basic and personally my concern is about how it will really be on 4 overnight trains in hard class sleepers. The rest is in small hotels and guest houses a monastery and a boat (not the luxury type!)

Any advice would be much appreciated! It is decision time to book the trip or forget it and think about something else!

Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: intrepid travel in china

I can't comment on Intrepid Travel specifically, but a couple of other companies you might consider are Absolute Asia and Asia Transpacific journeys. We're considering China next year with our daughters (who will be 13 and 10), and both of these companies have been recommended.

If you're sold on Intrepid's tour, give them a call and see if they'll let you know the ages of the other kids on that tour.

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: intrepid travel in china

This trip will be fantastic!

I have travelled on 8 intrepid original tours including 2 in China. The family tours allow children from age 6 so there may be young ones but my experience is you can do as much or as little with the group as you like.

China hard sleepers are fine - they will be a real adventure for your teenagers. They are 3 high bunk beds, a bit narrow but secure and comfy.

Hope you go for it!

3. Re: intrepid travel in china

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:19