We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I take my grand daughter???

Confolens, France
Level Contributor
15 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I take my grand daughter???

I would love to take my grand daughter on holiday, just the two of us. I am an active 60 year old, and she is 9. She is overweight, and rather shy at making friends. She loves anything to do with animals, and water. I will try anything that will give her a marvellous holiday, and maybe improve her self confidence and self esteem. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ann

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I take my grand daughter???

How about discovery cove and sea world in orlando florida? At discovery cove you can swim with the dolphins and sea world is fabulous too. I think sea world also has interactive animal programs.

What a great grandma you are!!

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I take my grand daughter???

I would have to second the Discover Cove suggestion. If she likes animals and water then thats the place for her. Combine it with a trip to the Sea World park and you will have a day full of animals and water.

Another possibility is to look into some kind of summer camp that specializes in building self esteem in kids who are overweight, shy, or different in some way. I do not know of any specific one but Im sure they exist an there are likely some that include other family members. I know there are many "family summercamps" here in the Northeast US.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I take my grand daughter???

While I agree she would probably enjoy Discovery Cove, you may want to google travelling with grand children. There are tours that specialize just in this, and it may be enjoyable for her (and you) to be with a set group in order to bond a bit and get to know some other kids, especially if she is shy and needs time to warm up to others. Also the other kids in the group would also be with their grandparents so she would already have a bond. With just a quick google search I found this: …about.com/library/weekly/aa092603a.htm. I know I have read articles in the NY times about how this is a growing and popular travel segment. You may want to think about a Western adventure. She may be thrilled to be around horses and doing something more active than water or theme park. There are rafting trip as well that may give her a sense of accomplishment ot conquer a new skill. think outside the box! and have fun. wish my kids had a grandma like you!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
85 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I take my grand daughter???

Another great option for an inter-generational vacation is a dude ranch. Horseback riding is a great equalizer- it's a somewhat athletic activity many grandparents enjoy with their grand kids, but does not require that either generation be in top shape.

The bonding with a horse is great for young people, and as you say, builds confidence. Most DRA members assign a horse for the seek, so you and your grandaughter will get to know your mount. (Most people don't realize that they have as much personality as any dog.) The smaller environment will be more comfortable than a large resort for a shy youngster.

There is a wide variety of experiences- many ranches have full youth programs, many have none and the children are with their families most of the time, as well as everything in between.

You could start by looking at areas to visit, and seeing what ranches are there. You could contact the Dude Ranchers' Association and have them help you find the right program for you. Their website is www.duderanch.org, or call 307-587-2339. Also, there are a number of ranches with reviews here on Tripadvisor- just search "dude ranch" or "guest ranch" from the home page.

Have a great trip- what a wonderful experience to share memories with just the two of you!!

Beaver AR
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I take my grand daughter???

Eureka Springs and Branson would make a great vacation spot for a 9 year old. Turpentine Creek is an animal refuge, Bear Mountain Stables offers horseback riding, Beaver Town Inn is located right on Table Rock Lake and you are only a 45 minute drive to Branson, Silver Dollar City and Branson Landing! There is an indoor water park should the weather turn bad also.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I take my grand daughter???

As you are already in Europe, I would suggest a trip to Rome. You can visit the Villa Borghese park, hire a horse for an hour, and gaze at the beautiful views while chatting.

Also, the Italians ADORE children (I'm Italian) -- especially the ones with a little more cheek to pinch. My daughter is 9 years old, and we studied up on the Caesars, then walked their paths. I let her choose the way. Each of our children got to select a food theme for the day -- picnicking, gnocchi Thursdays, finding a restaurant, etc.

I'd also suggest, if she's 9, she may be a huge Harry Potter fan. I know there are Harry Potter walks (www.walks.com) right there in London!

We also found Greece enchanting for children. They do not eat until very late (9:00 pm), and so our kids feel as if that is getting away with something! Which offers its own kind of thrill. If she's an adventursome eater, go for octupus, etc.

Good luck!

bristol uk
Level Contributor
993 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I take my grand daughter???

We took first took our children to Kenya when they were 6 and 10. We did an overnight safari to see the wildlife. The hotel was the Voyager Beach, it's "all inclusive" with included water sports. The kenyian people are lovely. The second time we went it was an extended family with grandparents and family friends and I can say that to this day my mother wants to return to Kenya.

8. Re: Where can I take my grand daughter???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 18:19