We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble planning a family vacation...Help::)

Chillicothe, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Trouble planning a family vacation...Help::)

My family is looking to take a three or four night summer vacation, July - August time frame. We have a two year old and are expecting our second in October. We are looking for someplace family friendly. We live in southern Ohio, and aren't looking to travel too far, possibly Virginia Beach? We are open to any help and suggestions.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble planning a family vacation...Help::)

Virginia Beach Is known as a family friendly beach town. With a two year old, from my point of view, a nice beach, without excessive partiers should be paramount. Also since you only want three or four days, drive time should be minimized. I would recommend you browse the forums specific to Virginia Beach, also take a look at Bethany Beach, DE and Rehobeth Beach. And don't overlook the Jersey shore. There are many towns along the NJ coast, with varying levels of kitsch, from lovely Cape May with Victorian Architecture, the Wildwoods (huge boardwalk, lots of kitsch), quiet Stone Harbor/Avalon, "dry" Ocean City (more boardwalk fun) and Long Beach Island-long a popular family destination. Further north is quiet Spring Lake. So ask yourself, how long do you really want to drive?? Do you "need" a boardwalk? Do you like interesting architecture? shopping? Live theater?

One thing to note is most condo and house rentals are for 7 days. Sometimes when you factor in not eating out 3 meals a day (which I found exhausting with tired toddlers) it can actually be more economical than a 4 day hotel stay. So browse the forums, read, and repost here or in state specific forums.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble planning a family vacation...Help::)

Another great family friendly place is the Outer Banks, NC. Another nice place is the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble planning a family vacation...Help::)

If you would consider flying Skybus is offering $10 airfares from Columbus,OH to Portsmouth,NH. Our weather in July and August should be fabulous and you could enjoy the beaches in Hampton or on the coast of Maine.

4. Re: Trouble planning a family vacation...Help::)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 20:18
Get answers to your questions