We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

France west coast family road trip

Level Contributor
17 posts
France west coast family road trip

I'm looking to plan a 2-3 week family road trip for us exploring the west coast of France this August. I haven't visited France since I was a young child so I'm coming at this with little knowledge. We'd be travelling by car from Manchester, UK. First question, Channel Tunnel or ferry? We're lovers of the outdoors, the sea (swimming, paddleboarding, surfing) and basically would like to plan a not too rushed trip with maybe 3 bases from which we can explore the surrounding areas. Can anyone who's explored this Atlantic coast before recommend either a suitable rough itinerary please, or even must see stop offs / sensible places to base ourselves for a few nights / hidden gems / logistical advice? I'm also conscious we may be retracing our steps on the way back up rather than travelling a loop, unless there's a beautiful looped route anyone can recommend? Many thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
17 posts
1. Re: France west coast family road trip

For context, we will be travelling with two children, aged 12 and 10.

2. Re: France west coast family road trip

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
48,895 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
3. Re: France west coast family road trip

Hello Katie

For the location specific information you want, a suitable rough itinerary, " must see" stop offs" etc, Id recommend reposting to the France " Destination" Forum directly

You'll get more knowledgeable responses by posting to Tripadvisors actual dedicated France Forum itself...

Thats where other members who live there, or France Destination Experts give the sort of details youre looking for....

Occasionally we have one member whos done this type of holiday post here, but shes an infrequent poster, so not sure when, or even if she'll see your post tbh...

Edited: 14 April 2024, 13:58
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,895 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
4. Re: France west coast family road trip

Heres a link to Tripadvisors France Destination Forum

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g187070-i12-France.html

Another idea is to use the " Search" function on the Forum , type " France drive holiday" , or similar to find past discussions of the topic

Good luck with your planning

Level Contributor
17 posts
5. Re: France west coast family road trip

Many thanks - I appreciate your advice. I've just posted into the forum you suggested.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,895 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
6. Re: France west coast family road trip

Youre welcome

Some Information about European FERRY Routes/Timetables etc- see link below

http://Seat61.com

Edited: 14 April 2024, 15:16
Reply to: France west coast family road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.