We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European City Break recommendations (with kids)

Ireland
1 post
European City Break recommendations (with kids)

Hi

Could I have some city / location recommendations, please? We would like to plan a short (5 or 6 day) holiday in Europe for August of this year, preferably somewhere that's not likely to be too sunny as I'm recovering from surgery. We will be travelling from Ireland along with our children aged 11 and 13. The ideal option would possibly be a Eurocamp type holiday village located close to a city, so that the children would have plenty to do onsite while still being close to a city for transport / exploring. However, I realize that most holiday camps are geared towards sun holidays, so we may have to opt for hotel accommodation instead if necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
48,939 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: European City Break recommendations (with kids)

Hello Gemin2......

Welcome to Tripadvisors Forums

Recommending a destination in Europe in August (at the height of the Summer) that wont be sunny is not possible...

No one can predict weather, particularly months in advance, and being summer time its likely to be sunny

No doubt trees and umbrellas, sunshades etc will be available somewhere

Heres a link to the Eurocamp website ...

It lists all of their locations /addresses in various Destinations/Countries, plus descriptions, etc

You can browse their site

https://www.eurocamp.co.uk/

Happy planning

Edited: 15 April 2024, 15:10
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
35 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: European City Break recommendations (with kids)

Hello

How about Northumberland in England or Scotland? It’ll be warm but not roasting hot I suspect.

Alternatively perhaps somewhere in the mountains? Switzerland, France, Austria?

We just had a lovely trip to Austria - the villages close to Salzburg such as St Gilgen would make for a lovely base for swimming in the lake and then bus trips to Salzburg for city sights.

Hope that helps :-)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
29,605 posts
335 reviews
187 helpful votes
3. Re: European City Break recommendations (with kids)

Alton Towers has camping facilities and pods. Lots to do in the area as well as the theme park itself

https://www.altontowers.com/short-breaks/accommodation/stargazing-pods/

Reply to: European City Break recommendations (with kids)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.