We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Sun Protection for teenagers

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Advice on Sun Protection for teenagers

Hey everyone,

I have teenagers who react to the combination of suncream/chlorine/salt pools.

Where we are going in a couple of weeks has salt and chlorine pools and I would love advice on a sun screen that also protects from this.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
49,569 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: Advice on Sun Protection for teenagers

Hello Maire

Some people with sensitive skin do have adverse reactions to certain Sunscreens or Suncreams, with or without the added chemicals in pools

Have you described the condition to your local Pharmacist or Chemist in the store where they sell the Sunscreens to see what is the best brand they would recommend ? Or a health care professional /dermatologist ?

I haven't had any personal issues with Sunscreens, and dont know anyone that has either, but have read about people having allergic reactions or sensitivity etc, online

I cant recommend a brand personally, but suggest you ask a licensed professional at your local Drug store/Pharmacy/Chemists were youd buy the product

Good luck!

Edited: 14 May 2024, 15:10
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
49,569 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
2. Re: Advice on Sun Protection for teenagers

These are some Sun screen lotions for Sensitive skin/reactions that are available for purchase on the global platform Amazon...

Dont know what's available for purchase in your home town/country, but Amazon ships Worldwide

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=sunscreen+for+sensitive+skin&adgrpid=62790189282&hvadid=604338742007&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9000855&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17388504381407289479&hvtargid=kwd-62074051&hydadcr=2417_13516712&tag=h0a61-20&ref=pd_sl_3myyaf1mpz_b

Edited: 14 May 2024, 16:04
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
161,198 posts
8,714 reviews
4,261 helpful votes
3. Re: Advice on Sun Protection for teenagers

Look for sun tan lotions such as water/sweat resistant and pf value of 50 plus.

Apply before swimming and then reapply afterwoards.

Level Contributor
2,403 posts
46 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Advice on Sun Protection for teenagers

I’m a redhead who fries easily and has sensitive skin. I have good luck with the Neutrogena sunscreens, but that is just in lakes and chlorine pools. I don’t think I have been in a saltwater pool in years. Although teens would think this isn’t “bussin’”, there is clothing available that blocks sun rays and can get wet, eliminating the need for sunscreen on everything but hands, feet and face. I also avoid water parks until after 4:00 as no sunscreen seems to withstand the rushing water and friction of the slides. Good luck. The sunscreens were garbage when I was a kid and, even though I am super careful as an adult, I just had my first skin cancer removed.

West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
216 reviews
105 helpful votes
5. Re: Advice on Sun Protection for teenagers

I used to get irritated skin when using regular suncreams a few years ago. I suspect the formula for all sun protection lotions has improved since then but nowadays I use only the once per day type as I find I don't get any skin problems with these.

My current favourite is Ultrasun . you can get a sports gel with SPF 30 which is fabulous for men (Or anyone else with a hairy body) . I use the face protection as my daily moisturiser - usually the SPF 50 and it's effective.

The prices seem expensive but when you work out how much you need - they genuinely are once a day- they are good value and you aren't carting around numerous bottles of product.

The thing to remember is that you MUST only apply on clean dry skin - and let it sink in for 30 mins prior to applying anything else, or going out.

check out their website for full information and offers - I just got a 3 for 2 deal which will last us a couple of trips. Also QVC sell it so you can try it for free ..

Reply to: Advice on Sun Protection for teenagers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.