We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Summer Vacation-hiking,fly fishing,rafting

Pgh,PA
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Summer Vacation-hiking,fly fishing,rafting

Interested in a summer vacation on the East Coast that offers hiking, fly fishing, white water rafting and biking. Any suggestions?

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Summer Vacation-hiking,fly fishing,rafting

How about Asheville, North Carolina? We went there a few years ago over July 4th and had a wonderful time. What a beautiful area. The only thing I'm not sure about is the fly fishing. Great white water rafting.

Palm Coast, FL
Level Contributor
102 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Summer Vacation-hiking,fly fishing,rafting

Definitely check out the Great Smoky Mountain National Park area - as it fits all of your wants. I've stayed on both the North Carolina side (Cherokee, Maggie Valley, Bryson City) and the Tennessee side (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge). Both are great fun, and you can drive over the mountain pass between Gatlinburg and Cherokee to make day trips to the other side, not to mention day trips into the park itself.

Pgh,PA
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Summer Vacation-hiking,fly fishing,rafting

Thank you for your suggestions...will look into those areas. Any suggestions for hotels, resorts or cabin rentals in those areas?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
27 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Summer Vacation-hiking,fly fishing,rafting

I agree with the other posters that n caolina is a great place. My vote is for gem of a place called Sapphire. It is beautifully awsome. Try the Wyndham resort at Fairfield Valley or Hampton Inn in Sapphire . The Fairfield resorts offer condo type accomodations with ammenities...pools ,small miniture golf, etc. It also has Fairfield Lake which you can walk around or swim, fish etc. This Sapphire is set between nice little towns should you want to do day trips. It is know as the land of the waterfalls...close to an entrance to the Blue ridge parkway. Also, close enough to take a bus trip or drive to the Biltmore estate. But do your home work and your find other things to do. Good luck.

5. Re: Family Summer Vacation-hiking,fly fishing,rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:19