We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family accomodation in New York City

Busselton, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Family accomodation in New York City

Hoping for some help! Have been searching for reasonably priced accomodation in NYC for a family of 4 - kids aged 2 and 7. We will only be staying 3 nights and am looking around AUD$200 a night max.

Any chance of recommendations? Or even web site recommendations?

Am finding it difficult and with internet so slow and expensive in Vanuatu (where we live) it is particularly frustrating.

Any help much appreciated. (-:Cam:-)

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
647 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family accomodation in New York City

We have used websites like vrbo.com to find privately owned condos or homes to rent. With children it is nice to have more room than just a hotel room! If you can't find something in your price range for NYC, consider staying farther from downtown Manhatten or even across the river in New Jersey.

You should also post this question in the NYC forum. You might get some fantastic suggestions there.

Also, another consideration is doing a home exchange vacation. I don't know how desirable a location your home is, but if it's nice, you could swap with a family in NYC. I know you only want to go for 3 nights, but if you could do a week or 10 days this might be an option that basicly doesn't cost you any money for accomodations!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family accomodation in New York City

I would not recommend using a rent by owner site in NYC as there have been many reports of scams in NYC for apt rentals. Basically NYC is very different than many other destinations as the apt market is very highly regulated and there are very, very few legal short term apt rentals. Do a search on TA on this topic or look at the NY forums for reports of people being scammed out of thousands of dollars and showing up with no where to stay. There are several hotels in NYC that have kitchen facilities and the peace of mind of a legitimate accomodation. See Radio City Apartments and read the review here on TA for example. There are others such as those in the Affinia group of hotels. I cannot stress enough going to the NY forum. Post with specific travel dates and the how flexible you can be regarding bedding choices (i.e can kids share a bed, is a pull out sofa bed an option etc) and the experts there can steer you in the right direction.

(By the way, I myself have a beach house on two rent by owner sites, so I am not saying they are not a fantastic option for many other locations!)

3. Re: Family accomodation in New York City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 22:20