We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do families want?

Ithaca, NY
1 post
Save Topic
What do families want?

I'm a student at Cornell U and I'm researching for a project about redesigning our school's hotel. A large amount of the hotel's business comes from families of prospective and current students. I was wondering if anyone could help me and just list some of the things you look for when choosing hotel accomodations, specifically what amenities do you appreciate in the guest rooms? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
647 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do families want?

A suite designed room: bed area plus sitting area.

Seperate toilet and shower room from the sink area.

Small fridge and microwave.

Very comfortable beds.

Plenty of insulation in walls so units are quiet.

These are just a few of my thoughts!

PA
Level Contributor
857 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do families want?

Suites are definitely better than just a room!!

A nice bathroom. Wonderful, invigorating shower.

A small fridge.

Wireless internet available.

Featherbeds & down comforters.

A guide in the room explaining about area attractions, restaurants, etc.

Would you like me to come & be your guinea pig??!! I won't even charge you anything!

new york
Level Contributor
169 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do families want?

Hotels with connecting rooms (not just adjoining, but truly connecting) are a big draw for families.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do families want?

A bathtub. Have you ever tried washing small children in a shower?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
303 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do families want?

I'm trying to think as a family w/older teens or when we visited... either too long ago or too far into the future.

Off the top, I'd say:

*enough towels in room and easy exchange

*sufficient bathroom-area or bathroom counter space (wall hooks in the vicinity as well)-- keep in mind adults or near adults all have their own stuff

*campus or area maps and guides in the room or lobby; make it easy for guests to discover where they can eat, sightsee, or register

*sufficient luggage carts and an entrance/lobby making it easy and welcoming to enter (will vary if you have bellhops)

*easy parking or good valet service

*second the 'fridge and microwave. Though you guys want families to spend on campus vending and food services, families might not agree.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do families want?

I think the main difficulty travelling with older teens is bedding choices and privacy. That is the standard 2 queen beds is not the preferred choice for families. Even siblings of the same gender do not like to share beds, and with a standard hotel room there is not enough privacy for changing, bathing etc. We either get connecting rooms (better than adjoining as you can check back and forth without going into hall in your PJ's), or some type of suite. The bedding choices are tougher, but my teens would rather 2 twins in a 2nd bedroom over 1 queen. Perhaps space to bring a roll away in, or option of rooms with trundles or fold out chairs/and sofa's. I also agree with room for toiletries. I stayed somewhere where there were empty baskets under the sink vanity, so we were able to easily put each toiletry bag off the sink/vanity top.

I hate those refridgerators so full of $$$$ stuff you can't put in a water bottle. I once couldn't find space for a small bottle of medicine. I also hate those that charge you just for moving the products around!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do families want?

Oops - I got the wrong end of the stick.

I thought you were designing a family hotel, hence my comment re bathtubs. I now see that you are aiming at a different market.

I must read post more carefully.

TGW

california
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What do families want?

as a parent, i would probably recommend to put a pool for kids, and an area where they can hang out like a playground or something. most of the hotels are made for adults, but how about the children they also want to enjoy a vacation. for rooms, i will suggest bigger bathtubs, small refrigerator, tv attached to the wall, a wireless internet access, and a very comfortable bed.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do families want?

A room that houses five comfortably. Two Queen size beds and a couch for the 5th person to sleep on.

Cleanliness...don't make me wonder if it was really cleaned before I arrived, or if someone just made the bed and hoped I wouldn't notice.

Price....If I'm on a vacation at a destination resort, I expect to pay that price...but if I'm just in town on an overnight stay to someplace else, or a couple days on a business trip in a business class hotel, don't price gouge me!

10. Re: What do families want?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 07:19