We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Med Ixtapa canceled our reservations - where now?

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Club Med Ixtapa canceled our reservations - where now?

I am really frustrated - we booked a week vacation at Club Med Ixtapa over a month ago for the end of May. I get a call today and am told we can no longer come that week as the have a big group coming in that booked the entire facility. Other than being completely frustrated with the lack of professionalism and our much needed vacation being ruined - I am now at a loss of where to go. We want something warm - nice beaches - great pools - kids clubs and within a 5 hour flight from Los Angeles. Any ideas???

Mind you they did offer to rebook us a different week but with three kids, school and camp schedules and my hubby's work schedule - there aren't any great weeks that work for everyone anytime soon.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Med Ixtapa canceled our reservations - where now?

Wow - that is terrible service on their part! I'm from the East coast, so I can't help regarding flight time, but I have friends that took their kids to an AI in Cancun and loved it. How about a cruise? We took our kids on the Disney cruise and they went ga-ga, but friends have sailed Royal Caribbean and enjoyed it. Good luck!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Med Ixtapa canceled our reservations - where now?

What were the activities on the Disney cruise for the kids like? How old were your kids?

Danvers...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Med Ixtapa canceled our reservations - where now?

Our kids are 10, 9 & 6. They had so much fun!! The camps are set up by age group and they all were in diff. clubs - no problem; they met many other children and it wasn't a traditional vacation week. Disney gives you a schedule the night before and you can plan with your kids what activities they want to do, or you can have them stay in the club for a set period of time so you can enjoy an adult dinner, brunch, spa or whatever. Activities included making choc. chip cookies, magicians, sports on the top deck, painting pillowcases, meeting characters, scavenger hunts, star gazing, pizza parties. My 9 y.o. loved her counselor so much she cried when we left the ship and so did the camp counselor!!! The servers, for the most part, treat the kids like princesses and princes, even the room steward would go out of his way to ask how their day was.

Now, DH and I are not cruisers; friends have tried to get us to go on adult cruise and we've passed. But we've decided to cruise Disney one more time while are kids are at this age where they so thoroughly enjoyed themselves and we could have some downtime w/o them, knowing they were safe.

Ask if you have any other questions. I can pm you a website/msg board that gives you tons of info on all things Disney.

Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Med Ixtapa canceled our reservations - where now?

Could Club Med not book you into one of their other resorts? Surely they're all not booked up for that week?

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Med Ixtapa canceled our reservations - where now?

They offered and we are considering - but the other ones are much longer flights - and as we are traveling with a 10. 6 and 2 year old - we aren't sure about the longer flights - esp with the 2 yo. Ixtapa was a ns charter flight - so easy. I was trying to find some other easier options.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Club Med Ixtapa canceled our reservations - where now?

So we are going to the Club Med in Punta Cana - wish us luck on the flight :) We decided to spend the night in Miami to break up the flight and hopefully make it doable. Looking forward to the vacation again. While I am unhappy our original plans were ruined - I have to say that they have been very accommodating in making sure we were still able to go elsewhere.

7. Re: Club Med Ixtapa canceled our reservations - where now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 11:19