We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP - Husband won't fly

Waupun, WI
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HELP - Husband won't fly

Any suggestions on how to get my husband to fly. We have the opportunity to go to Jamaica in January, but he's nervous about flying. (Acutally not the flying part - the crashing part).

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP - Husband won't fly

Show him the statistics of the average number of people killed in a day in car accidents just in the US vs. the average per day killed in airplane crashes.

Prior to flying have him talk to his doctor about maybe prescribing a tranquilizer to help take the edge off.

Their are also classes out there that help people overcome their fears or hypnosis...

It's the things in life that you don't do that you regret.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP - Husband won't fly

Your husband has a phobia which can be treated. Here's an interesting NY Times article which sheds light on it. nytimes.com/2007/…24fear.html

I know someone who was a true "white knuckle" flier. She didn't let her fear keep her on the ground, but she suffered greatly when traveling by air. Now she's over it completely and falls asleep during flights. For her, it was a matter of repetition. After so many flights with nothing bad happening, she simply let go of the fear. I'm glad she did, because she's my wife and our trips are a lot more pleasant now.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP - Husband won't fly

My husband too does not like flying, he was fine until experiencing an emergency landing after an engine blew on take-off heading out of town a couple years back. Since I'm a total traveller and can't give it completely up he still is 'forced' to come along, he got an Ativan prescription and takes one as soon as he gets on board it really calms him down and lets him get a bit of shut-eye.

I can't force him to come along on any trip per-say how I proceed with it is that I'm going to go with or without him, make all the plans up to the booking time at which time I say "hey are you going to come I would really like you to be with me and enjoy this trip"; since he'd rather I didn't travel to some foreign destination alone he folds, he hates the flight but usually can calm down enough to enjoy the holiday (the thought of the return flight sometimes bothers him).

When we are inflight I just try to give him assurance and comfort without crowding or being overbearing. Never mock the fear!

Good luck

4. Re: HELP - Husband won't fly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 07:22