We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand w/ an 11, 8 & 3 year old

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand w/ an 11, 8 & 3 year old

We are thinking of visiting NZ next summer (your winter) with our munchkins. It has been so many years since I've been there I am at a loss of where to start. We'll probably come over for two weeks. Love the outdoors and natural beauty and small towns. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand w/ an 11, 8 & 3 year old

I suggest you post this on the New Zealand forum.It's a great forum and I am sure you will get lots of advice and handy tips.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand w/ an 11, 8 & 3 year old

Hi Juxie

As the previous person said - post on the NZ site - we love to help there and there is a whole group of regulars who will help out.

However, if you are coming in the Southern Hemisphere winter what sort of thing do you want to do - are you into skiing or do you want to stay away from that sort of thing - you could head up around the Bay of Islands where it will be warmer.

Even in winter there are plenty of walks and special things you can do - even for a 11, 8 and 3 year old - day however are short - sun up around 7.30-8am and down by 5pmish.

Looking forward to seeing you on the NZ forum

cheers

Kiwi

Goombungee...
Level Contributor
12 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand w/ an 11, 8 & 3 year old

As an expat Kiwi who visits home every 2 years and who has brought her kids to visit Nana and Granddad etc.

South island, for it's snowfields and Christchurch is a good base, bare as in the winter and dam cold winds.

McDonalds are enclosed so even if it's raining it's a good choice if parks are out of the question. Tram ride and Gondola, museum etc.

If you can make it longer that would be better.

Hamner Springs is just out of Christchurch a 2 hour drive, my favorite place, hot pools, walks in the bush. Mimi Aspen. Mt Hutt is close by, number one ski field in the Southern Hemisphere. 1 hr drive from Chch.

Queenstown is awesome ask President Clinton, plenty to do there if you are out doorsy type, big on ski fields and snow things, west coast is lovely but it rains all the time, byo gumboots but it has 2 Glaciers.

You could do a round trip, norht to Hamner Springs, over to West Coast, see the Glaciers, down to Wanaka.30 mins to Queenstown, with new sealed Cadrona Road. On to Christchurch via the lakes and mt Cook. Or miss out the west coast and do Christchurch to Queenstown. Plenty to see and plenty of national parks along the way. But it will be very cold and you may have blocked roads due to snow, but well worth the trip.Chch to Queenstown is about 8 hours by car, no double lane highways here.

Chch to Queenstown then to Dunedin to see Castle and up the coast to Christchurch.

Hope that is some help for you.

cheers Vicki

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand w/ an 11, 8 & 3 year old

Thanks for the information. I am now thinking maybe Spring Break would be better? I know April is fall, but is the weather still mild at that point? I'll do a bit more research now that the kids are in school and hop on over to the NZ board for specific questions. THANKS!

Goombungee...
Level Contributor
12 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand w/ an 11, 8 & 3 year old

Hi Juxie

It can be, depending it they have a late summer or early winter. But mild days usually with frosts begining in the lower south island, patches of rain off and on, sometimes the weather is lovely, its unpredictable and you can have fine one day, freezing the next.

North island good days but cooler nights etc.

If you were going earlier, Milford Sound will be open, they close it off during winter because of avalanches.

Hope that helps.

Vicki

uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand w/ an 11, 8 & 3 year old

First off - soooo jealous! lol!

We spent a month in New Zealand in Feb/March this year with an 11 year old, 7 year old and 4 year old so just wanted to say they will absolutely love it - we just want to go back now!!

We started off north of Auckland, then headed down to Rotorua - loads there for them to do, Hawkes Bay, Wellington, Golden Bay then down to Christchurch (apologies for any spelling mistakes - sorry). The days were fine and the nights were cool, particularly the further south we went.

The NZ boards on here gave us FABULOUS advice and we wouldn't have had such a good time without all of their input. Also totally recommend bookabach for great family home-from-home accommodation and there was a great rental company too - NZ based - and they were fab!

Again, so very, very jealous but I know you'll have a wonderful time

TMof3

xx

7. Re: New Zealand w/ an 11, 8 & 3 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 01:17