We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving week trouble

CA
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving week trouble

Hi all, I'm looking for a family trip somewhere on the east coast for Thanksgiving week. Family of 4, hubby plus 2 daughters 21 and 24.Three will be coming from CA, one in school in Boston. We don't want to do Boston,thinking about NY or north of boston.The ones from CA have a full week the one in Boston only thursday to sunday. Is it possible to rent a place in nyc or maybe Kennybunkport (sp?) for a week and then have the boston daughter meet us for 4 days? Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving week trouble

I do not know about timeshares in NYC if that is what you are asking, but vacation apt/house rentals in NYC are very rarely legal due to rent control laws as well as co-op and condo board restrictions. Do a search on the NYC forums for "apt rentals" and you will see many threads of scams or illegals hotels. There are some corporate apts that require a 30 day stay, and apt-hotels that have kitchen facilities. Know that Thanksgiving to New years is a very expensive time to book NYC and many prime places have been booked for over a year.

The Maine coast will probably have many more legal options (but it will be cold!)

CA
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving week trouble

Thanks from one yankee to another. Any specific places in new england area?

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving week trouble

I would post in the CT/RI/MA/ME forums for more thorough advice, as I haven't attempted renting during Thanksgiving week, but some favorite spots of mine are (in no particular order): Newport, RI, Mystic CT, Kennebunkport, ME, Bar Harbor ME, Woodstock, VT, perhaps Stockbridge, MA.

Look at www.homeaway.com for some homes for rent by owner. Kennebunkport and Mystic both have a stock of Inn, B&B's which may not be as suitable for a family Thanksgiving.

I don't know if you are familiar with the NE coastline, but it is rugged, beautiful, but rocky, cliffs and not at all like CA. It will be cold and windy, perhaps raining or even snowing. I personally love Newport, former summer home to America's barons of another centurey with some of their "cottages" open for tours (less than in the summer, but still some) as well as a cliff walk and some colonial history, tennis museum, and a strong sailing and maritime culture. See: www.gonewport.com

4. Re: Thanksgiving week trouble

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions