We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a child's carseat/booster as checked baggage

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Taking a child's carseat/booster as checked baggage

Does anyone have any experience with taking a child's booster/carseat on a long-haul flight as checked baggage?? We are travelling from Australia to the UK via USA next year, and we are considering taking a long a good-quality booster seat for our 5 year old. She's a bit big to be sitting in it onboard (Qantas recommend children over 18kg do not take carseats on board), so it will have to go as checked baggage. A few people have asked me if I think my carseat will arrive in one piece at the other end, so now I'm a bit worried!! If anyone has any experience with checking in a carseat, I would appreciate your views!

new york
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a child's carseat/booster as checked baggage

When my kids were smaller, we checked car seats several times on our trips to Florida and LA. Each time, they came out good. If you have a 5 yr old, you probably have a larger, sturdier car seat, so I think you'll be ok. Whenever we brought the car seat, we always brought along a heavy, clear plastic bag to put the car seat in when we checked it.

Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a child's carseat/booster as checked baggage

The car seat that we use for traveling (lighter, less-fancy model) has thus far been on 8 return trips and is none the worse for wear. On a couple of occasions we didn't have a plastic bag for it either.

illinois
Level Contributor
392 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a child's carseat/booster as checked baggage

Buy an inexpensive giant duffle bag. We have 2 and used them to ship our car seats everywhere.

Sometimes the carseats coms off in a sepcial baggage area - like golf clubs - and not all airlines are polite enough to tell you this. So make sure you look around.

C

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a child's carseat/booster as checked baggage

We've never had any problems. We normally check them without bags - I figure they can see what it is and treat it better.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking a child's carseat/booster as checked baggage

I could only find a UK link in my haste, but here's the product I used for car seats. It has straps to use as a backpack which frees up your hands for other things. You can also pack stuff in the seat in the tote!

princelionheart.com/site_uk/t_cs_0985.html

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking a child's carseat/booster as checked baggage

We always take my sons booster in a canvas bag and bring it as carry on. It fits perfectly in the overhead, and that way we don't worry about it being lost.

7. Re: Taking a child's carseat/booster as checked baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 07:18