We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crawling Baby at the Beach

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Crawling Baby at the Beach

We are spending a week in Englewood beach with our two year old and 7 month old. We have traveled many many times to the beach (and elsewhere) when our two year old was younger, but never to the beach. Does anyone have any "on the beach" tips? Due to the new baggage checking costs we won't be bringing a ton of stuff but would rather try to "make do." Thanks!

Michele

1. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2009, 16:54
Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

We take a collapsible cooler with us to have at the beach. We take a Thermax Thermos and freeze milk in them when we are planning on spending all day at the beach.

Like the other poser said: lots of sunscreen and hats...we use the hats that have the chin straps to help keep them on.

We always bring white LONG sleeved t-shirts.

My 2 year old liked wearing sunglasses on the beach.

Oh and we always bring some cheap small sand toys and a bucket (usually from the dollar store)...but you might be able to buy some once you get there.

Kildare
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

The UV protected baby tents seem like a great idea and a few people have recommended them to me. Babies spend ages clambering in & out of them which keeps them amused for a time. I think if you have a few small foldable/inflatable toys to keep em happy, they may not crawl as far as you think, fingers crossed!We're facing the same game this year, so I'm with you in spirit!!!I like the idea of the corn-starch- that seems an ingenious solution.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

Have to agree with the uv protected tent, our kids love it, and it's a great place for a sleep after being worn out in the water, don't forget the swimming nappies also, need to keep the poops in.

Pacifica, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

If you're trying to stay light on the luggage, you can bring the Kidco Peapod Tent. We love it. It can also double up as a tent to nap baby at the beach. Super lightweight (compared to a pack and play). We throw a dark sheet cover it for nap time. It's also great for just playing in if you want to keep your 7 month old off the sand for a little bit.

I saw another discussion about this on a different site with some helpful suggestions http://tinyurl.com/aekd5e

Manitoba
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

Hi Michele - your post made me laugh and brought back memories I had safely stowed away! One of our daughters learned how to crawl the week we spent at the beach! Yikes! You plan and plan and plan for an immobile child and boom! she's racing across the sand for the water. You received lots of great advice - the best is, be ready to do a lot of fast moving, and have fun because they grow up so fast!

TEXAS
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

Brings back memories!! Mine was 8 months old but not crawling yet. The problem I had was nursing. So if you are still nursing be prepared to have a good cover up because you will have to get all of the sand off of your boobs before you nurse. And another thing we had that was great that I dont think has been mentioned yet is one of the hand held mini fans that blow out a mist. Our 8 month old did get really hot because they are not in the water much.

Have fun!!

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

Rashgaurd bathing suits for both of your children. They are like t-shirts but made of bathing suit material.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

The cornstarch really works! Don't go to the beach without it. You can use it to clean up before nursing, too. When we had crawlers at the beach, we got a big, dark colored patio umbrella and just put it down on the sand. They curled up in there for naps and just to get out of the sun. We brought an old comforter for a big area to crawl. We had a great time.

For you, get the beach chairs that put you right down on the sand instead of up high where they can get a pinch.

10. Re: Crawling Baby at the Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 18:18