We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

Michigan
10 posts
Save Topic
Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

We are having a terrible time finding a Spring Break destination. It is proving extremely difficult to find a place that is entertaining for the 16 yr olds as well as the 10 yr. old, while hopefully avoiding wild co-ed partying. (The 2 yr old will be fine wherever we go). We would prefer to not have to fly, but if the deal is good, we will. We are in Michigan and are willing to drive anywhere east of the Mississippi. Would of course prefer somewhere out of the cold. Any ideas or advice? Thanks.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

Wild co-ed partying is an east coast thing, so if you fly, consider southern California. Everyone could have fun there. If you don't want to do the amusement-park shuffle, there is still lots to do. I took teens down to the area two years ago and we did a blend of activities. As we got on the plane to go home, everyone chimed in "When Can We Go Back!!?"

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to yet but we will one day.

Check the airline web page for Alaska or Southwest Airlines, if you can get to a location that they serve at your end. Try outlying airports, too. We flew to Ontario, CA, just a little east, and saved $50 a ticket.

ohio
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

Last year my family went to the Smoky Mountains over Spring Break. It is beautiful. If your family enjoys the outdoors, there are wonderful hiking trails, etc. If you are more into entertainment, there is a lot of that in Gatlinburg. The weather will be better than Michigan but probably not as warm as you are hoping.

Anyways just wanted to throw it in for an idea.

Heidi

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

You could check out the SanDestin Resort in Destin, FL. It is in the panhandle and took us about 18 hrs driving. Also, Kiawah Island Resort in Kiawah, SC (barrier island off of Charleston) is very nice and family oriented as well. That took us about 18 hrs to drive to also.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

If your budget will allow it, I recommend San Jose del Cabo in Mexico. There are some beautiful and affordable condos on the ocean that are very suitable for all ages. I stayed at a 2 bedroom, 2 bath ground floor condo at Las Mananitas (through Vacation Rentals by Owner - www.vrbo.com). It was about 1900 sq. ft. with a huge patio right off the sprawling, crystal blue pool with the ocean just steps away. We picked up food at the Costco on the way in, and prepared most of our meals in the condo (saving us lots of money). There's tons to do - snorkeling, swimming, horseback riding, shopping or doing nothing at all. The owners have all the toys and even young kids will have a blast in the pool. A far cry from the winters of Michigan. If you're interested in this scenario, let me know and I can give you the owner's name of the condo we stayed in. Good luck.

NY
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

I know you said you didn't really want to fly, but What about a cruise? there is plenty to do for the whole family!

Carnival is the most reasonable in price and royal Carribean is great for families!

visit http://www.kellystraveltrips.piczo.com

Missouri
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

There are tons of places in florida that the college crowd do not go , orlando will be crowded with families but if you go further south you will be fine and warm key west would be good , coco beach , fort meyers area

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

I would recommend southern California - specifically San Diego. The zoo, animal park, and Sea World are a hit with all ages. Balboa Park is fun again for all ages. Scripps Aquarium and sea lion caves are fantastic - even your 16 year olds would enjoy it.

Christie

8. Re: Spring Break with 2 yr old, 10 yr old and two 16 yr. olds??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 02:19