We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

Ascot, England
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

If you shut 3 clubs in one day at least have some people on the phone who can action a refund Sunsail. What a disaster. We booked 9 months ago to return to Turkey and get a little letter saying "sorry its now shut"

Well First Choice you should know how to deal with this type of problem - but clearly dont. Complete idiots. Cancel hundreds of holidays and then dont man the phones. A classic school boy error.

One said to me "well we are very busy today" so am i you fool trying to recover £00's of MY moeny you have on deposit.

NEVER AGAIN SUNSAIL.

You deserve to go the way of Woolworths.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

I just heard about this, sorry you are affected. Sunsail / First Choice are both owned by Tui (who also own Thomson, Simply Travel and Crystal) Tui is actually doing quite well - probably because they're shutting down brands (Crystal Active this yr also) and reducing the total amount of package holidays out there, to keep prices up, despite the credit crunch. We've done Sunsail in the past, and Crystal Active in Turkey last yr.

Seems totally daft to me but there you go. Have they offered you an alternative holiday?

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

We have been affected as well

And agree customer services is appalling!

never again

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
579 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

The last I heard is that customers are already receiving their refunds. For an alternative try here

www.neilson.co.uk

Also this discussion in the Neilson Forum might be helpful.

www.neilson.co.uk/View-Forum.aspx…

I am bias by the way as last year I was a Dinghy Instructor in Turkey for Neilson and this I am a Yacht Trainer in Turkey for them.

Either way good luck and I hope all goes well with your refunds and finding a new holiday,

Regards

Gavin

4. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 14:49
West Sussex
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

What a shambles - at least Sunsail could have been honest on their website by giving the true reason for shutting down the Turkey Clubs instead of saying "unable to complete administrative formalities in time for the 2009 season". If this is what replacing many long standing, reliable and helpful Sunsail staff with new blood, then I hold out no hope for Sunsail. As very regular customers of Sunsail for many many years we will now look elsewhere for our holidays. Its a DISASTER and my heart goes out to the staff of Sunsail for this total mess up by TUI.

Guildford
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

It sounds like the problem might be Turkish work visas for UK passport-holders. I heard that one of the resorts last year had a "midnight raid" from the Turkish authorities resulting in many staff vanishing overnight - assumedly sent home. Without British staff they won't be able to provide enough RYA instructors.

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

Your'e right. We were in Turkey at the end of the season last year and there were issues with the ratio of local to UK staff. After the 'raid' at another Turkey resort all the Sunsail UK staff were wearing their own clothes so that they would look like customers if the inspectors called - real shame

Berkhamsted
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

I would say this is a customer Service TRIUMPH.

If Sandhurst had got his SS holiday he would have turned up to find that there were no RYA instructors to run the waterfront and so on. Or he could have been charged a £1,000 surcharge for getting the staff into Turkey.

The fault and blame lies wholeheartedly with the venal Turkish authorities who are scrapping and gouging British (and other Western European) holiday companies for full cost visa fees for 6 month stays.

Until the Turks want to play the same game as members of the EU - freedom to travel - they will not get Western EU money into their economy. Doing business in Turkey is akin playing the lottery.

[Of course we could have a few hundred Turks turn up in Weymouth and Gosport for a year or so to learn English and become fully qualified RYA Instructors!!]

Cambridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

It got better! We re-booked to go with Sunsail to Antigua and they shut that his week!!! What a treat. Then we were offered to go to Voulaki as the only one left - but they have upped the capacity to try to keep customers so I suspect it will belike a cattle market!

TUI you missed the point and lost the plot, no doubt big company buying small company and then it's all run by accountants. Speak to your customers and get a grip of the situation. Neilson amd Minorca sailing must be laughing thier socks off...

Cambridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SUNSAIL - shut Turkey - what a customer service disaster

It got better! We re-booked to go with Sunsail to Antigua and they shut that his week!!! What a treat. Then we were offered to go to Voulaki as the only one left - but they have upped the capacity to try to keep customers so I suspect it will belike a cattle market!

TUI you missed the point and lost the plot, no doubt big company buying small company and then it's all run by accountants. Speak to your customers and get a grip of the situation. Neilson amd Minorca sailing must be laughing thier socks off...