We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Europe in September

Adelaide
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family trip to Europe in September

Hi we are a family of 5(2A & 3C) and we are planning a trip to the UK/Europe in September/October. I would appreciate any information that anyone has about good places to stay/visit for a family of our size. We are planning on taking the Eurostar to Paris & also catching the train around Europe. Any advice ar all would be great. Thanks

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Europe in September

How old are your children? How do you think you will split your time ?

Bath is doable from London and is very intersting all round. There is a place called Longleat, south of Bath that I have taken my children to several times - there is a stately home, maze, adventure playground and a great safari park - on a warm day it's ideal.

Give us an idea of what may be of interest and I'm sure lots of help will be offered.

Earlier this year we were in Pisa for the weekend - climbed the Tower etc and spent a day in Florence - again a good combination with very cheap flights via easyjet.co uk.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Europe in September

Hi fjab,

Thanks so much for your reply, the place near Bath sounds great. Our kids would love a safari park. Would this be a good place to stay near overnight or for a few days? Our kids ages are 11, 8 & 6. We will be spending about 1&1/2 weeks in London/or day overnight trips. A week in the Cinqa Terre(you info on Pisa sounds good cause we can do a day trip from the Cinqa Terre). 4 nights in Interlaken, 5 nights in Chamonix &our last stop will be a week in Paris.

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Europe in September

Hi

Longleat is great and if you're going I would stay in Bath for the beauty of the place but it is usually exspensive to stay in Bath.

For Bath:

go on the canals - you can hire your own boats or do trips - your own boat is more fun.

See the Circus, royal cresent, shopping

Bristol is near Bath and you'll find cheaper places to stay It also has a place called @Bristol which is great for kids and is all indoors (should it be raining). The docks are nice with lots of bars and restaurants - but stay clear on Fri/Sat nights as they fill up with loads of drunk young adults.

For Bristol:

Ferries around docks

SS great Britain tour

Museum

Zoo

Park Street shops

Cabot Circus Shops

If you go to either place buy 'Venue Magazine' any event will be in it - look for the section on 'Family'

One last thing about Bristol - Research it if you stay there - it has lovely places but also has a lot of rough areas - like any big city.

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Europe in September

Hi

Longleat is great and if you're going I would stay in Bath for the beauty of the place but it is usually exspensive to stay in Bath.

For Bath:

go on the canals - you can hire your own boats or do trips - your own boat is more fun.

See the Circus, royal cresent, shopping

Bristol is near Bath and you'll find cheaper places to stay It also has a place called @Bristol which is great for kids and is all indoors (should it be raining). The docks are nice with lots of bars and restaurants - but stay clear on Fri/Sat nights as they fill up with loads of drunk young adults.

For Bristol:

Ferries around docks

SS great Britain tour

Museum

Zoo

Park Street shops

Cabot Circus Shops

If you go to either place buy 'Venue Magazine' any event will be in it - look for the section on 'Family'

One last thing about Bristol - Research it if you stay there - it has lovely places but also has a lot of rough areas - like any big city.

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Europe in September

Re: accommodation. I can't really say where as we live very close to Bath and of course whatever your budget is. Travelodge is cheap and cheerful and there is one opposite the @Bristol site so very central. Being as you are going to be in London I would have a look at moneysavingexpert.co.uk as they have a money off voucher section - last week I was in London with my daugher and we were able to use a voucher for "Ask" ( Italien restaurant chain) for a free main course. The state museums are fab and free and 3 are at the South Kensington tube station - your kids will love the Science and Natural History museum. Just another thought if you can't get to Devon very near Blaise Castle estate, on the edge of Bristol, there is a little selection of thatched houses built for the estate workers in the 1800's that is charming - if you think this might be somewhere you may want to pop into PM me. Another thought - over the bridge to Wales there is the Big Pit, free, was a working coal mine but now is used as a museum and you can go down to the pit face - if you have never been dowm a coal mine it's really interesting. We have the daughter of friends, in Adelaide, visiting us in January and we intend to take her there as it is so unusual.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Europe in September

Thank you to everyone for all your great suggestion, a lot of them sound great, we have 2 weeks in London & now I wish we had 2 months, there is so much to do & see! If anyone has any more suggestions they would be more than welcome.

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Europe in September

Hi

My only suggestion to you would be, don't just stay in London, it is great but you won't see the real Britain. Try some trips outside.

Bit like going to Australia and staying in Sydney centre the whole time!

have fun

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Europe in September

We are doing a similar trip in April next year. London 4 days, Eurostar to Brugge for 2 days and then Paris for a week.

Had a lot of trouble finding a hotel that sleeps 5 in one room that had decent reviews. We decided on Arran House Hotel. Location seem good, reviews good and everyone has been wonderful through e-mails.

Still looking for a place in Brugge.

In Paris we are renting a flat. Friends of our jst got back and stayed at Hotel Marigan http://www.hotel-marignan.com/html/p1_a.htm. Their first impressions were not great but they ended up loving it. Location was great and the price couldn't be beat.

How old are your kids? Would love to hear about your adventures when you return.

9. Re: Family trip to Europe in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions