We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Los Angeles to Brisbane with very busy baby.

Toronto, Ontario
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from Los Angeles to Brisbane with very busy baby.

My husband, myself and 13 month old are relocating from our current residence in Vancouver, Canada to Australia. We will be flying to Los Angeles for work and then continuing on to Australia from there.

My question is whether anyone can suggest a flight route with stop offs along the way as there is NO WAY my little guy could handle a direct flight of 15 hours from L.A. to Australia. They would be holding me back from jumping out of the plane after the first 10. lol. We don't mind turning the trip into a holiday adventure if it means not spending too much time on any one flight.

I know that Hawaii is one stop we can do from L.A, but I can't seem to find anything after that. I don't know whether Tahiti is an option? Fiji? I'm struggling to find anything on the usual websites like flightcentre etc. Or perhaps there's a better way than Hawaii? I'm open to ALL suggestions.

Any help is hugely appreciated. I'm dreading flying with my very loud and busy toddler. So the shorter the flights, the better!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Los Angeles to Brisbane with very busy baby.

Air Pacific flies to BNE via NAN (Fiji) - still a long flight, or you could do both Hawaii & Fiji, then BNE.. Flights to Fiji are every day except Friday...You gain 2 days, but only slightly shorter with AP. It could be a nice break for all of you..

Apple Valley, CA
Level Contributor
647 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Los Angeles to Brisbane with very busy baby.

Well, I don't know about routes, but I can make a suggestion for the plane ride!

When we traveled from LA to Philadelphia with our 15 month old, my mother made up a small bag (actually an old shaving kit bag) with a bunch of things he didn't usually play with such as a thing of floss, post-it-notes, rubber bands, small toothbrush and other various trinkets that were different and intersting. I saved the floss for one instance when I was desperate and I took it out, gave it to him and he just pulled and pulled until his little heart was content. It gave me that extra 5 minutes I desperately needed at that moment! It was a really good idea I never would have thought of, but good ol' mom did!

I would highly recommend this to anyone traveleing with a child around this age.

Good luck!

Janna

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Los Angeles to Brisbane with very busy baby.

Something similar that I have done when travelling with our daughter is picked up a bunch of items at the dollar store. Depending on the flight length I pick up about a dozen things. As the flight proceeds I pull out 1 item at a time. I even save items for the return flight.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Los Angeles to Brisbane with very busy baby.

Some airlines have their own little bags to give to kids, according to age group...On my last trip to Bologna I flew with Czech airlines & saw that as soon as families were seated, the flight attendants distributed little goodies bags to Mother or Adults with children to give to their kids after checking the content first. I thought it was a nice gesture. British Airways used to do it too, but they were giving the bags directly to the children... I think the first approach is better, more like halloween candy - you want to see it first & not to overwhelm the kids...

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Los Angeles to Brisbane with very busy baby.

I've got two children and we have traveled by plane and by car for very long distances. See my suggestions to keep your baby occupied on the long trip at Associated Content: associatedcontent.com/article/…

Hopefully the baby will be lulled to sleep by the travel. Greatly reduce or eliminate any sugary snacks as that will only make baby more active.

6. Re: Traveling from Los Angeles to Brisbane with very busy baby.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2010, 05:16