We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica Itinerary w/kids - HELP

San Francisco, CA
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Costa Rica Itinerary w/kids - HELP

We have 10 days in CR this June. Our girls are 6, almost 7. We are doing 3-4 nights @ EcoLodge San Luis near Monteverde, then going either to Arenal area or Tortuguero or both. Not sure if we can squeeze them both in. We want kids to see the amazing animal life on the Caribbean coast, but worry it may be too much for them ( boats/crocs/bugs/rain.....scary?) Anyone have an opinion on this? we would likely do one of the package 2 night tours to Tort just to simplify logistics. Thanks for ANY insights.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary w/kids - HELP

I would say it depends on the kids. You are right to think about overdoing it. If this is their first big adventure you want it to be a positive one. Sorry, I can't speak to the specific destination we did not do Tortuguero on our CR trip and we were not with kids. If you are not going at high season keep it open and book from CR, you will have a better idea how they will do after the eco lodge experience.

Edited: 30 April 2010, 20:35
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary w/kids - HELP

I was in CR last June with our boys, similar time frame, 10 days/9 nights, though we chose to do Arenal and Manuel Antonio. In our original plans we looked at added either Tortuguero and/or Monteverde, so that trip had us basically moving every 2 nights or so. I am so glad we ditched that plan and just incorporated two places, as that better reflects how we travel. We are all anxious to go back and explore other areas.

I can't remember exactly, but I think, as I investigated, the Caribbean coast may not be as favorable in June, but I would ask that question on the Costa Rica forum. The TAs there are great!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary w/kids - HELP

There are many beaches you can go to around the world...how many active volcanoes can you see up close & personal? Of course I'm partial because my husband and I live by the volcano but it never ceases to amaze us! I do know how exhausting it can be (just adults) going from place to place so I cannot imagine what it is like with kids?!

There is so much to see and do here in Arenal with the kids. Arenal is the "adventure capital' of Costa Rica and there are rivers, waterfalls, butterfly conservatories, insectariums & tons of animals & wildlife to see and pools galore (without the worry of what's below the surface)!

One thing to keep in mind in Costa Rica is even though everything looks like it's close it can take many, many hours to get where you're going! Everything here moves at a slower pace so make sure you build in some "down time" and enjoy your vacation!

4. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary w/kids - HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2010, 13:53
5. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary w/kids - HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 05:15