We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach vacation for family off the beaten path--ideas needed!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
beach vacation for family off the beaten path--ideas needed!

I am looking for a beach location where I can rent a home for my family of 4. Kids are 12 and 9. We love water sports, hiking, biking and just relaxing by a pool/beach. Anyone have a place where it's not too touristy. It doesn't need to be completely secluded. I prefer the southern part of the US.

Thanks

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach vacation for family off the beaten path--ideas needed!

Everything that you describe (except being in the south) you can get on Cape Cod, a summer vacation haven that is unique in the US. Rental houses are common on the Cape. The MidCape and Upper Cape (Upper Cape is the area closest to the mainland) are more commercial and so you could have more things for the kids to do. However the Outer Cape (think National Seashore and tall dunes) is more sparse and will give you a more secluded feel. Kids can learn to sail and surf and go fishing if you don't mind spending some $$$ or they can boogie and skim board for less. They can get out on the water for a whale watch or a seal watch. There's tons of hiking options and a really terrific (and long) bike path called the Cape Cod Rail Trail or, if you locate on the Upper Cape, the Shining Sea bike path. if you stay at a hotel you can have a heated pool and be on or nearby the beach. If you rent a house you probably will need to forgo the pool and opt for the nearby ocean, Sound or Bay instead. There's a variety of beaches both salt and fresh water and they number over 300. You may have heard of one of the islands off the Cape proper and that is Martha's Vineyard which has been the pick of Clinton and Obama for their families.

We fly in to Boston on JetBlue or AA and you can fly on Cape Air into Hyannis though we rent a car in Boston and drive down.

If what I have told you so far peaks your interest then I'll be glad to give you more info and answer questions. Enjoy your vacation wherever you go

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach vacation for family off the beaten path--ideas needed!

What time of year are you planning you trip? The South has some great places but depending on the time of year, parts of the South are cool to cold.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,502 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach vacation for family off the beaten path--ideas needed!

West coast of Vancouver Island.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach vacation for family off the beaten path--ideas needed!

Post #4 reported as self promotion

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach vacation for family off the beaten path--ideas needed!

Hey there Shadow, did you get any help here? What did you decide? Just wondering if you ever made it back to this board?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,502 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach vacation for family off the beaten path--ideas needed!

Hey Mikey - you beat me to it. Just chimed in myself. :>

7. Re: beach vacation for family off the beaten path--ideas needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 05:16