We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

We live in sunny Florida and both of us have never been out west, we absolutly love animals, feeding, petting, watching baby animals with there mamas, want to surprise my husband with a ranch trip, somewhere with great views and alot of animals, must be all inclusive where we can just play, get dirty and enjoy a bunch of animals! I need advice since the internet is filled with 100's of places, nothing real fancy just clean with good service and good food, a plave where we can go and be around animals lovers just like us!! Any suggestions travel friends???

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

More information please...

Is is trip just for you and your husband?

Budget? How long? What time of year?

Do you want to work on the ranch?

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

Hi, yes just the 2 of us, ive done some research and it seems everything shuts down for the dude ranches in Sep...Our Aniversary is Nov 3rd so wanted it to be thats time so we are away for it, 5 nights would be plenty with a budget abt $2200?? I just got a ton of emails of all types of dude ranches, most are only horses, which is fine, i really really wanted to be in a cabin on a farm with all kinds of animals, babys, help feed them so work with them would be great, i did get an email that had a ton of baby goats n pigs but close in sep.. Any ideas island girl??? :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

I'd like to give you a link to Dude or Guest Ranches in Colorado. The scenery in the Rocky Mountains is just beautiful!

http://www.coloradoranch.com/find-ranches.php

My husband and I grew up in Colorado, and recommend anything near the I-70 interstate, and the area around Durango. Some are also open in the winter months, but they focus more on snow/ski activities, whereas the summer months may give more of a working ranch experience.

Enjoy : )

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

Thank you!!!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

November is generally the wrong time of year for newborns, but there are Texas dude ranches open where you could enjoy yourselves. Bandera in the Texas Hill Country near San Antonio has several that are open then. http://www.banderacowboycapital.com/index.cfm

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,295 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

Animals are on a pretty regimented breeding cycle. Unlike humans, who have babies all year, animals tend to have their young in a specific season. There are biological reasons for this, but I won't get into it. Most typically, depending on the animal, you will find young between late February and early June.

Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

Agree, you won't see many "babies" in November.

For a November ranch experience, I would consider Texas or Arizona, but most of those will focus on horses.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
696 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

You might want to look at Tanque Verde Ranch in AZ. It has been run by the Cote family for over 50 years. I was there 20 years ago but I understand it is still going strong.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

Search for the word farmstay or farm stay instead of guest ranch. I think you'd need to stay in the southwest in November. There might be such a thing up here in the Northwest, but the days are short and rainy so it wouldn't be that delightful in November.

Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I want to surprise hubby w farm/dude ranch aniversary trip

susanna, ironic that you mentioned Tanque Verde, as that is the ranch that I was thinking of. We have stayed there, it's wonderful, but all about horses, riding and nature.

Farmstay is an excellent recommendation, ainwa.

Have you looked at the website http://www.farmstayus.com/?