We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico safety?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico safety?

Hi we are a family of 5 (kids 7,7 & 4) hoping to go to Mexico in Feb 2011 from New Zealand. We have been planning a month or longer around the mid, and lower parts of mexico with time on the coasts for sun/beach. I also desperately want to see the monarch butterflies!!!

We are fairly adventurous travellers and have taken our children (2.5 years ago) to China for a month and regularly on trips closer to home, but all our friends and relatives think we're crazy going to Mexico due to 'dangers' seen in the news.

I had similar comments made to me when I went to Africa, yet it was fine. So I'm thinking this will be too, but wanted some advice as then it was only me, and now its my kids too.

Would love any advice, thoughts on this. THANKS!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico safety?

nzTrina,

Welcome to TA. Have you posted on the Mexico forum? While many of us here are frequent travelers with our families to Mexico, you are most likely to get current information on the Mexico forum, including the specific states you are planning to travel too. Here is the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150768-i6-Mexico.…

I would encourage you to review the Mexico Security Update on the US Embassy's website, most recent update, October 4, 2010.

…usembassy.gov/eng/eacs_MexicoSecurityUpdate…

Here also is Travel Warning for Mexico from the US Department of State dated 9/10/10.

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico safety?

Thanks so much for your reply. Those warnings make for scary reading. Will post on the Mexican forum also.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico safety?

My family (with 2 kids) has been to Mexico numerous times and have always felt safe. Just plan your trip accordingly with safety in mind. The Yucatan/Quintana Roo areas appear safe with lots of tourists including families with young kids. This area has lots of attractions. Unfortunately the state of Michoacan (where the butterflies are) is one of the heaviest hit areas of the drug cartels. I would use more caution there. My mother was born in Michoacan I use to go there as a little kid) and I too would love to go see this wonderful site.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico safety?

I've never been afraid in Mexico. But right now I too would be hesitant to recommend travel to Michoacan or to those states that border the US. However, you should be fine throughout the Yucatan penninsula or in the beach towns of Oaxaco and in the Federal District. Though, I would not travel by private vehicle outside of the well-policed tourist areas except in the Yucatan.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico safety?

hi mexico is pretty good in the tourist spots some good places in the yucatan are isla mujeres cozumel playa del carmen playa is real busy but its a great location for day trips excellent cheap transportation people are hard workers check out chitza ruins and ik kil cenote snorkling is good around cozumel and a place called yal koo near akumal bay is great snorkling for little ones akumal bay also gets big sea turtles merida is ok too

6. Re: Mexico safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 February 2011, 14:09
7. Re: Mexico safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2011, 06:24