We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

My family has a vacation scheduled to Jamaica mid-April and this is the first time we'll travel out of the U.S. (or anwhere for that matter) with an infant. We do travel quite a bit but for some reason I've about worried myself to death thinking about the "logistics" of this trip! lol. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, Montego Bay

Some of my concerns/questions are... are there large bottles of water to purchase at the hotel or nearby to mix with the baby formula (suggestions on where to buy)? Its been a while since I've traveled out of the country...or perhaps I could use milk (I'm assuming its pasterized & dispensed from machines at the resorts)? And of course we'll try to pack necessary jarred food & diapers but if we would run out or whatever, is it fairly easy to find some in Montego Bay? I mean, I realize they have supplies because obvioulsy there are plenty of babies born there but I'm just a bit anxious & want to be prepared.

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it :)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

I can't answer specifically about Jamaica, but I have traveled with an infant/toddler to several countries. Buying bottled water should be easy. I believe you said you are staying at a Holiday Inn. The front desk staff should be able to tell you where to go to buy anything you need. It amy be worthwhile to ask this question on the Jamaica forum. One mistake we made when our son was younger was carrying too much on the flight instead of buying it when we got there. That kind of depends on how long you will be on your trip though. It is easy enough to carry 4 days worth of diapers and food, less so a week. Remember the baby will need his/her own passport.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

You will have a wonderful vacation. Bottled water should be easy to access. Do make sure you bring anything your baby absolutely needs (ie; medications, an extra favorite "blankie", a specific type of pacifier, etc). A vacation is not the time to try something new!

To ease your worries I would:

1. Contact the hotel directly. It is often easy to email the hotel or hotel concierge and ask your specific questions regarding baby supplies.

2. Post your question to the Jamaica forum. Hopefully a TA there will be familiar with the Sunspree's location and tell you a good store that is close.

NY
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

We just returned from this resort and the water is filtered. you can buy water across the streetat the market or in the hotel gift shop. We bought diapers at the super market across the street.

The kids club is great they have cribs and air conditoning so that if the baby needs a nap and you do not want to go back to your room this is a great resort.

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

Thanks so much for the responses & MS12993, I'm so glad to hear from someone that has been to this resort specifically. Do you know if they accept babies that young at the kids club (10 mths)? I'm leary to leave her with people I don't know but like the idea of having help if we want a bit of a break.

NY
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

You will be happy to know they do take children at 10 months I will tell you these ladies are experienced and loving I was amazed as I never have left mine before and it was much more comfortable for them to be in the kids club than by the pool or beach all day. All of the ladies are very competent but I continue to keep in touch with a few. Carolyn and Joyce my name is Mea let them know I said hello please. I am very leary of this type of daycare but I will tell you I was so happy with them I wish I could have brought them home.

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

Wow, thanks again. I too am leary but will definitely check it out as an option while I'm there. You referred to taking them there to nap .. I assume they charge? Is it a daily charge or can you do short spurts like that?

I also read somewhere that you can hire a personal nanny, of sorts, for $25 a day at the resort. Did you hear anything about that?

NY
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

There is no charge for the children's club. It is part of the resort cost. I did ask about private service and I believe it was alot more $ than 25.00 a day. You can ask at the children's club. I will tell you there are more than enough staff to really take good care of your baby. They also have a seperate Nursery area with cribs and changing tables for infants. They have strollers etc. It is amazingly clean.

Ohio
Level Contributor
234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

Awesome!

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

As an FYI there are resorts in Jamaica that offer vacation nannys. Each family has their own nanny for the duration of their stay. The nanny is at your disposal for the day and you can pay extra to have service in the evening. Available at the Frankly D Resort and FDR Pebbles Resort.

10. Re: traveling with infant out of U.S. for first time (to Jamica)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 18:19