We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long haul flights with 1 year old...

Rochester
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Long haul flights with 1 year old...

Hi,

Has anyone travelled from England to the Caribbean with a 1 year old baby?

We have a holiday booked to Cuba next March and we did book a night flight going out. We have now received a letter with altered flight times leaving at 9.40 in the morning. The thought of a doing 10 hour flight with a baby awake for most of it fills us with dread!!

Can anyone reassure me with their experiences or advise? We are open to changing the holiday if necessary.

Many thanks,

Lisa

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long haul flights with 1 year old...

Lisa, We flew with our 1 year old daughter from DC to Paris to Germany about 5 years ago. Make sure for you to wear slip on shoes with socks. You will probably be walking a lot up and down the aisle. Keep a change of clothes for yourself and baby. Lots of baby wipes. We had our daughter in her car seat in her seat. Also keep little puppets or toys hidden that your child has never seen before. Just pull them out when you get desperate. Also, while on a flight I noticed a woman staring at me. I thought ugh she is upset because my child is crying. I was wrong. She was another mom and she let us borrow some of her toys. If you see other families going through the same or before your child cries then share your stuff. It is amazing but other will do with the same with you too. Then you can ban against the meanies that give you dirty looks. Make friends with the stewardess/steward too when you first get on the flight. Oh and one last things...try to get the last row of seats as the plane is louder back there and it doesn't matter as much how much your child cries, or see if there is a row with more empty seats for you to stretch out....hope this helps!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long haul flights with 1 year old...

There are no guaranties,but a few things to try/hope for. I doubt the baby will be awake the whole trip, airplanes have a way of putting most people, even babies, into a stupor like existence, especially over an ocean. I think that if you create the chance for the baby to sleep, there is a good chance he/she will, at least some. You know the baby, do what you can to encourage her to sleep.

You did not specify an airline, but the bulkhead bassinet may help. The bad news is that on some airlines, the average one year old will excede the weight requirement and the bassinet will not be available. On other airlines, they do not seem so concerned. I have no experience on the route you will be traveling, so I have no input about what to expect.

You said "we", which is a good thing. When our son was an infant, my wife did most of the work, but I was able to assist/relieve her. I consider 2 adults with one baby a major plus.

Pack carefully. You will of course need baby supplies on the plane, but you will also have to navigate airports. Gate check your stroller so that you get it back when you land at the gate. Between baby supplies, baby, and standard cary on items, having the stroller will help. When it comes to carrying baggage, remember one of you will be carrying or otherwise moving the baby.

I believe, but can not proove, that stressed parents create streesed babies. Allow plenty of time at the airport for check in and security, so that you are as relaxed as possible.

While a long haul flight with a 1 year old can be problematic, it does not have to be. Many of us have traveled long haul with our kids without incident.

3. Re: Long haul flights with 1 year old...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 06:17