We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a fun, family vacation on a budget

PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Need a fun, family vacation on a budget

We are a family of 6, ranging in age from 19 mo. to 13 years that would like some fun this summer. We have been to Ocean City MD several summers in a row & would like something different. Any ideas on what other beaches would be good? Was thinking Myrtle Beach???? Any suggestions on where to stay???

Other family fun ideas besides the beach?? Open to any suggestions. Thanks!!

Thompson family

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a fun, family vacation on a budget

Myrtle Beach is nice. It isn't exactly the nicest but it is nice. I would say that I enjoyed if more than OC.

I don't have any recommendations as to where to stay... but I can recommend where NOT to stay. Do not stay at the Sands Hotel. It is disgusting!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a fun, family vacation on a budget

How about a resort in the Poconos? They have activities all day, and usually include 2 meals/day in the price. Check out Woodloch and Rocking Horse Ranch.

Central-NJ
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a fun, family vacation on a budget

Loved Mrytle Beach-water is bathwater warm! Look for the hotels that have mini-waterparks. We stayed at the Embassy suites - very nice (esp. you can stay the whole family in one suite). Plus they also have condos & villas w/kitchen units in the same property w/Kingston Plantation. All the chain restaurants and more at MB, we love the shopping there and entertainment! We have a 3yr/9yr & 13yr old, they really enjoy them. you can be as laid back or active as you like-depends on location of MB. And it is so family oriented. check out the MB forums for other suggestions. Never been to OC, but people tell me - MB is so much nicer. enjoy.

OK
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a fun, family vacation on a budget

Went to MB 2 years ago. We would go back. There is so much to do besides the beach. Very family friendly. Took an 11 and 12 year old and they were never bored. They also went to the beach and pool ahead of us and we never worried. The security and lifeguards are excellent. I recommend the Hampton Inn near the boardwalk. It is clean, friendly and kids stayed in separate bedroom. You will not be able to do everything in one vacation.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a fun, family vacation on a budget

Not sure where you live, but the Oregon Coast is wonderful and inexpensive. The entire coast is public, so you can find a great beach so easily. Good cheap food, and it is easy to find cheap accomodation,particularly if you stay in a vac. rental. No taxes in Oregon make it a bargain too. We loved it, and my 5 and 7 year old, who are extremely well travelled, ask to go back there more than anywhere, including the UK, the Caribbean, Cape Cod, California, Canary Islands, etc... Lots of fun stuff for rainy days too, particulary on the North Oregon Coast. Go, you will love it.

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
847 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a fun, family vacation on a budget

Dis you think of Holiday Inn Sunspree in Jamaica? Summer airfares are low and it is all inclusive.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a fun, family vacation on a budget

The OUTER BANKS of North Carolina is wonderful! The beaches are very unsoiled. There is a nice combination of the beach, sightseeing ( lots of history here), family activities, and places to stay that are reasonably priced. There is the National Seashore, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Kitty Hawk, Orcakoke Island ferry, Roanoke Island and more. Lots to do and see and you won't break the budget at all!